2008 Elantra wheel alignment questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I put new tires (Hankook 727s) on my daughters 08' Elantra about 2 years ago (it's hard to know exact mileage because I put snow tires on in winter). When she came home from college last summer I rotated the tires and noticed wear on the inside of the fronts. I had a wheel alignment done in hopes of arresting the wear (I had an alignment done when I got the new tires as well). When she came home from college yesterday I noticed that the front tires have worn down much further on the insides.

My question is whether it's realistic to expect an alignment to fix the tire wear which has already started?....Do I need another alignment if I get 2 new front tires?

I see they sell 'camber adjusting bolts' for this vehicle (which has an non-adjustable camber) and am wondering if they are needed.

It's disappointing to need replacement on 90K tires in approx. 25K because of alignment issues (especially when I've had 2 alignments done)

I spoke to a co-worker with a 2010 Elantra who said his is also hard on tires.

Any thoughts or ideas?....What do you think about the camber adjusting kit?

Thanks

Once an odd wear pattern has been established it will continue for the life of the tyre

If wearing only on the inner edges it is possible there is wear on the lower arms.

Is the camber out of spec? Elantras are hard on tires yes but if the alignment is off the tires will wear faster.Did u get a printout showing how the car sits. How many miles are on it? Are the struts wore out? Low control arm bushings good and ball joints good? Lots of things can affect tire wear

I would also cross-rotate the tires as well. That way the inside edge will now become the outside edge on the rear.

The vehicle has only 65K so I doubt there are many parts worn out....I think these HD Elantras are just prone to tire wear....

Who did the wheel alignment? Usually the tire places don't do a good job at aligning them. Try an alignment shop or I've had good luck with the dealer on alignments as well. Make sure gas tank is half full as well.

It's more likely you're toed out than that camber is to blame. But as others said, if bushings wear in the control arms etc you could have gone from good to bad, or even can shift modes between accelleration and braking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back