Dirt in the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I am writing from Italy. A few days ago my Land Rover Defender Td5's fuel pump began to make noise. A noise like a meow. I tried changing the fuel filter but without resolving and so with patience I pulled out from from the tank the the fuel pump.

Look at che condition of the filter in the pump!!

sporco-pompa.jpg

Now i creaned and the pump is very happy.

I was wondering, how you can find a thing like this in the tank? What can be done to REMOVE without disassembling in all the car? How to prevent it?

Tnx

Last edited:
Easist way would be to drop the tank when it's low on gas and flush it out.

It's either that or let it go threw the engine.

Could also replace the filter more frequently but that would be the slowest method.

Assuming that's diesel (Td5)? You might want to find whatever they sell in Italy that kills fungus growth in diesel fuel & use a healthy shot (Biobor is a good brand here in the USA, not sure about Italy). Whoever sold you fuel last should be getting a bill.

Also-that's NOT DIRT, that's the black fungus that grows at the interface between diesel & water in a fuel tank, likely wherever you bought your diesel fuel from last. This is why it's always a good idea to buy diesel from a station that sells a lot, & always keep your tank full-cheap insurance against this problem.

As bullwinkle said ... always store your Diesel vehicle with a full tank. Top up in the evening (not the morning) or whenever temperature is expected to fall (overnight, or weather-related lower daytime temps) to insure maximum fuel level in storage and minimum condensed moisture in the tank.

Your fuel supplier should be using fuel stock that is appropriate for the weather generally (winter / summer formula) but it doesn't hurt to ask since the supply change decisions happen long before the actual weather arrives, and it will always be wrong to some extent when fall or spring actually arrives vs. the supply changeover dates.

Diesel fuel issues happen most often around freezing temperatures, compared to very low below- or moderately above-freezing temperatures. Say, +25~40F (-3~+5C).

Consider Diesel Fuel Additives that are safe for your specific type of Diesel engine that address moisture, fungus, and if necessary cold-temperature additives.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
You might want to find whatever they sell in Italy that kills fungus growth in diesel fuel & use a healthy shot (Biobor is a good brand here in the USA, not sure about Italy).

The fuel additives are able to eliminate the fungus (physicaly eliminate this back stuff) if it's present or only prevents?

Whoever sold you fuel last should be getting a bill.

How can I know... always refil in the usual diesel fuel distributors, which sell a lot

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Could also replace the filter more frequently but that would be the slowest method.

One big question, even changing fuel filter frequently, this, as you call, fungus, remains on the thick fuel pump's filter and, as just happend, clog without never get to the diesel filter. I wrong?

always keep your tank full-cheap insurance against this problem.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
As bullwinkle said ... always store your Diesel vehicle with a full tank. Top up in the evening (not the morning) or whenever temperature is expected to fall (overnight, or weather-related lower daytime temps) to insure maximum fuel level in storage and minimum condensed moisture in the tank.

I really did not know that I should preferably fill up the car every day... I usually do a full refill every 10 days.

Depending on how bad the tank is you'll probably have to drop it and do a thorough flush. Biocides will kill the algae but it still has to pass through the system and will continue to plug the screen up on your pump. A thorough flushing of the tank followed by several doses of a good biocide at each fill up for a month or two afterwards to ensure it doesn't return is the best chance at getting rid of it and preventing it from coming back.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
Depending on how bad the tank is you'll probably have to drop it and do a thorough flush. Biocides will kill the algae but it still has to pass through the system and will continue to plug the screen up on your pump. A thorough flushing of the tank followed by several doses of a good biocide at each fill up for a month or two afterwards to ensure it doesn't return is the best chance at getting rid of it and preventing it from coming back.

No chance to dissolve the black stuff, so..

I have heard of this algae growth phenomenon before, and always found it amazing.

Something like this where you can't control the delivery from the station, if they have it, PITA...

In North America do they add algaecide/fungicide to the Diesel?

What a problem...

If they add it, I don't know how you could tell. The only time I've seen it is in little black specks in the bottom of my plastic fuel cans-& E10 is very good at killing/getting rid of it. Biggest danger seems to be stations that don't sell a lot, in humid & warm areas, stuff can go wild under the right conditions. It can be like a bad cold, once you get the stuff, it's hard to get rid of. Almost need to use Biobor or similar for several tankfuls & carry spare filters.

Originally Posted By: bismillah

No chance to dissolve the black stuff, so..

Is there hard gritty material in there? You may be dealing with an asphaltine problem, less common than algae but every bit as difficult to deal with.

Is there hard gritty material in there? You may be dealing with an asphaltine problem, less common than algae but every bit as difficult to deal with.

No, it is soft. Passing a finger on the filter it went away but what worries me is redoing che job
frown.gif
I also would like to clean my other car but i don't want to unmount the tank and the fuel pump.

Is possibile to clean this algae with some additives?

A good biocide will kill the bugs in the tank and prevent them from multiplying but it doesn't break them down anymore than what you saw on your pick up screen. So either you drop the tank once it gets low on fuel AFTER a good dose to kill everything and thoroughly flush the tank out or you will have to continue pulling the pick up screen to clean it. Depending on how bad it is you may only have to pull the pump once or you may be doing it several times. Definitely not fun either way but if you have the means to drop the tank and get it over with its the best way.

Hi, do you think that those black algea are the result of one contaminated diesel refill, right? Could it be due to "natural" accumulation over time of condensation? - the car has 150k km

I'm usually quite accurate, I always refill in main large pump that are thus chipper and sell a lot.

Is it something that happens often or am I unlucky?

If the pump is clogged there is no way to clean it if not physically removing the pump and cleaning it as I did (really there is not a product that dissolves present algae?). I can only use a biocide to prevent algae but there are, there remain.

What about using a small amount of acetone sometimes (which is a ketone and then is able to eliminate the water) could it helps? Acetone does not also eliminate the algae?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back