PYB is a LOT quieter than Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Friday night I decided to change the edge SN black jug 5w20 garbage out of the Focus as it was getting kinda klacky like valve train noisy with it. Following some knowledgeable members advice to try PYB; I put some PYB 5w20 in. After a day of driving over 65 miles total, the valve train noisy ness is GONE. Here on out in my fleet it will be QSGB or PYB

Rant over

Been going through a similar deal with my 3.1 and 5w30 high mileage oils. Mobil Super 5000 HM and Valvoline MaxLife blend were rowdy in the 3.1. While using Pennzoil HM Vehicle and my current fill of Castrol GTX HM, the engine definitely sounds quieter to me. Was really surprised at how Valvoline MaxLife sounded ok at first, but two weeks later the engine was rowdy again. Put the Castrol GTX HM in a week ago today, and the 3.1 is quieter now than any of the above oils I have used. Just hope it stays this way.

After giving this topic a lot of thought, it comes up often, I think the only fair way to judge is toward the end of the OCI. New fresh oil vs. oil that has been in the sump for thousands of miles? That oil is spent. Just a thought.

Yep, new filter is tough guard#3614. After two OCI's with EDGE; I'm done with it. Even my "beater/backup car" 98' Cavalier likes some QSGB 5w30 with a WIX filter

Demarpaint: after hearing
And reading the hoop la and praise about Magnatec and edge: sure pulled the wool over my eyes. KCJEEP was right: cannot go wrong with some PYB!
smile.gif

I think as well the oil was wore out. I know people on here try to stretch the oil to the limit, why I am not sure. Oil is cheap. But new oil v.s old oil and the new always sounds smoother. I have noticed thicker makes quieter too. I wouldn't give Castrol a bad name over it.

Theres a lot of statments that mineral get better, quiet sound and motircycle smoother shifting gears... I had that impression sometimes, but the consenses here is that is just an illusion, impression (the bike gear shifting isnt just impression, nether the noises) ETCG say its flow differently, tribologists discard that flow in difference from molecule unequal sizes ... Since even PAO isnt that uniform in EO by the mixing of # of base oil viscosities, theres no explanation to such enhanced flow of minerals.

Panzerman: each oci was well within the owners manual oci of 7,500. Dunno; it sure left a real bad impression on me. Just my honest, mechanics thought/s

Each run was like 5,000 miles also BTW

Cant compare a old oil all sheared down to new oil. Just like you cant compare you old worn out tires to the new tires you just installed..

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
PYB 5W-30 would be even quieter....

PYB 10W-30 gets even quieter than that....

How, with it being the same viscosity at operating temperature as the 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back