Oil for 50's Era Kellogg 331 Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old Kellogg pump that I'm rebulding and was wondering what oil I should use - the rebuild kit is new (as in new stock, not old stock, a custom kit suppliers put together), but I cannot confirm what type of material the oil seal is made out of, nor can I confirm the gasketing materials.

If I run full synthetic, is this recommended? I will not be replacing the oil piston rings as the compressor has seen little use. It's more of an overhaul since it was still using old asbestos gaskets, so I presume I wouldn't need to break in the pump again. I have attached the recommendation from the ancient manual below. This will be located in my attached unheated garage, where temps would fluctuate from 32F to 75F. Would 20W be recommended or 30?

Also, someone local is selling a brand new 5 gal pail of CSR Compressor Oil-300, but I cannot find any info on the properties. I assume it's mineral, and viscosity is 300, would that be too thick to run at freezing temps, and subsequently require a crankcase heater? The Kellogg pump is a splash-type with oil ring lubrication.

Thanks!

21834165931_7c7da7cfe1_o.jpg

Very cool!

First off, pass on the CSR stuff.

With that said, and given the small quantity needed/long service life, I see no reason to avoid selecting a modern synthetic compressor lubricant that's been formulated for the application.

Royal Purple Synfilm Recip. 100 is on Amazon, but I'm unsure of what's available to you (at sane pricing) up north...

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Very cool!

First off, pass on the CSR stuff.

With that said, and given the small quantity needed/long service life, I see no reason to avoid selecting a modern synthetic compressor lubricant that's been formulated for the application.

Royal Purple Synfilm Recip. 100 is on Amazon, but I'm unsure of what's available to you (at sane pricing) up north...

I was actually going to get the DeWalt Full Synthetic oil:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55001-Synthetic-Compressor-Quart/dp/B0008GLW9Y

Since it's at Home Depot and reasonably price. Also specced out some Lubriplate SYNAC but Amazon only sells in case quantity.

I've got 5 gallons of Quinsyn Plus compressor lubricant/coolant, from what I can find on it, it's a 30wt non detergent synthetic lubricant. Would be willing to part with it for a reasonable price being as I have no use for it. I know it's designed for twin screw compressors so it might not be the best choice for a piston style compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back