02 Silverado 5.3L Valve Head Cover Gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L.

Need to replace the valve head cover gaskets.

Would like to know which gasket manufactures to go with and which ones to stay away from.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You usually can't go wrong with Fel-Pro. Have you got the factory service manual already ?

No Factory Service Manual.

Been wanting to get one of those

Make sure you post pics when you change the VC gaskets... BITOGers can't get enough of under the VC pics!

Originally Posted By: Blokey
Make sure you post pics when you change the VC gaskets... BITOGers can't get enough of under the VC pics!

How do I post pictures on this website?

Last edited:
Looks like RockAuto does not carry Felpro.

Anyone have a Felpro Part# for the Valve Head Cover Gasket and the Grommets?

Do they carry Delco parts? If so, buy those. And in the future if you ever need them, don't use Felpro head gaskets on your 5.3. Only buy the OEM Delco pieces.

Hope that doesn't apply for the Intake Manifold Gasket because everyone was recommending the updated Felpro Intake Manifold Gasket.
I ended up buying the updated Felpro intake gasket.

Do the Valve Head Cover Gaskets by Felpro leak?

Originally Posted By: Gito
Hope that doesn't apply for the Intake Manifold Gasket because everyone was recommending the updated Felpro Intake Manifold Gasket.
I ended up buying the updated Felpro intake gasket.

Do the Valve Head Cover Gaskets by Felpro leak?

Their intake gasket and valve cover gaskets are very good pieces. Felpro as a whole makes great parts. I just know that specifically with LS engine head gaskets Felpro is about 25% thinner compressed than the OEM part. They should be avoided for that specific application.

Looks like RockAuto does not carry Felpro.

Anyone have a Felpro Part# for the Valve Head Cover Gasket and the Grommets?

LINK

Question:

Is it easier to replace the valve head cover gaskets while the intake manifold is off?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Not really. Pretty easy either way.

Ok..then I will most likely put everything back together tomorrow and hold off on the valve head cover gaskets.
I did clean off some of the debris at the top of the valve cover so that when removed, very little debris is disturbed...

I blew compressed air into the intake opening and to my surprise debris blew out.
Probably debris that fell in when I was wrestling the intake manifold out.

I hope its OK to blow air inside these openings.

I'm being careful when cleaning around the area.

Any ideas or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The torque is probably 89 inch pounds.

Yes, thanks, (intake manifold) is 89 inch pounds and I believe the initial first time around is 40 something inch pounds then finishing off with 89 inch pounds.

I also found out that there is a tightening pattern to the manifold intake so I will be sure to follow the recommendation.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Not really. Pretty easy either way.

Ok..then I will most likely put everything back together tomorrow and hold off on the valve head cover gaskets.
I did clean off some of the debris at the top of the valve cover so that when removed, very little debris is disturbed...

I blew compressed air into the intake opening and to my surprise debris blew out.
Probably debris that fell in when I was wrestling the intake manifold out.

I hope its OK to blow air inside these openings.

I'm being careful when cleaning around the area.

Any ideas or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Last time I did one, I sprayed some Super Clean in there and let it sit, then hit it with the pressure washer. I repeated that process several times until the water coming out was clean. Hit it from all angles- stick the wand in the ports too.

the spec for the intake manifold is 44 inch pounds first pass, 89 inch pounds final pass, and yes there is a certain sequence you need to follow, im sure you can find it easily online or if you get a factory service manual

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back