Green spark plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riddle me this BITOG, what do you think would cause a green coloration? This is an AC Delco Iridium plug from my CTS-V. The plug has 40,000 miles on it. This car has a Chevy LS engine. I removed a second one and it looked the same. I showed it to my friend who builds and tunes GM cars, he's removed thousands of spark plugs from engines like this. His response "I never saw that before." I use mainly Sunoco fuel, sometimes Shell and Exxon. I'm not big on additives, occasionally I put a few oz of Pennzoil TCW3 synthetic in the gas tank. That is blue in color. The engine consumes maybe a half quart of oil in 6,000 miles.

IMG_20140731_132631.jpg

IMG_20140731_132711.jpg

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
I'd say it's the burned after effect of the tcw3 your putting in there.

Could be. But I put it in 2 other cars and don't get any coloration. In those 40,000 miles maybe a quart or less went through it. The TWC3 adding has a following on LS1tech, no reports of this side effect though.

The colour of the deposit left on spark plug electrodes typically an indication of the fuel-additives used in your brand of fuel purchased.

If you want to know, try a fresh new set of plugs and then go (stay on) with another completely different gas pump brand for 15k or so and have a look?

Q.

Most of the time those ground electrodes look yellow...maybe yellow plus the blue TCW3=green?

Or for some reason the Copper in the ground electrode is oxidizing ..that would look green too.

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
The only green I see is on the threads, I wonder if it is from the anti seize grease that was used.Maybe it reacted to something.

Green threads? It's your eyes or your computer. No anti-seize on these. (I didn't install them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back