What would you say is the best flush product

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a gas engine cooling system?

I picked up some Prestone from Walmart, cost $2.62. Says 2 in 1 formula. I plan on driving with it in for a while.

Household remedies, oddballs, products you buy.. Which do you feel works the best? (To really clean a complete system hear core, radiator, the whole system.)

Citric acid is good if you're in Ohio with lime-y water.

But in, say, Linden, NJ, there's no need.

If you have oil in the system from a blown head gasket, cascade dish soap, but not for long, it'll eat the aluminum.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
But in Linden, NJ, there's no need.

I believe it's Bayonne, the location of the Deathstar's exhaust.

Joseph, the only thing that's being flushed is your money. Unload these junk cars and use public transportation for the winter. Let your poor mother have her garage and driveway back.

Dishwasher soap? (I have heard it said to use Dawn or Cascade. I have Palmolive right now)

CLR? (*for not a long time)

White Distilled Vinegar?

Baking Soda? (perhaps after CLR, to neutralize..)

I'm talking 100 miles or less on the caustic ones. I can go to Walmart and get any of this stuff. I don't have oil contamination, thank goodness. But I just got my heat to blow hard last week and I think the circulating 50/50 mixture is depositing cruds somewhere else, as the coolant looked like Scope mouthwash for a few days, it looks the proper color now but flow still isn't right, wonky fan action, I want to flush flush flush!
smile.gif

I used the garden hose like 6 times, all sorts of ways.. its been retired tor winter, though its going to be like 70 on Christmas day so not really? Spring is here, I wear shorts this week?
smirk.gif
Now I want to go to the chemicals.

I don't believe in flush products and never use any of them.

Why would anything get into your cooling system? Unless someone fills it with well water instead of distilled!

I have pulled apart dozens of cooling systems and unless they had a head gasket failure I have never seen "crud" inside.

Last edited:
The history of this particular car involves several bottles of a "stop leak" substance appropriately named "Blue Devil".

This is a special case of clean-up and it should be approached scientifically. First test "in vitro" to find something (if anything) that can dislodge / dissolve hardened Blue Devil, then consider putting that in the car, if it would be safe to do so. Not looking for the "best overall" something. It's a very specific problem that may have no solution.

Blue Devil does not offer any advice on how to remove their product when you are ready to make proper repairs. Most Blue Devil customers end up buying a new car shortly anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UD3HL5o_p-g
Remember, the remarkably calm guy in this video only used ONE bottle.

Last edited:
On old timer told me to use 10-min flush and leave it in for two-weeks to allow it to work. I used that type of product for a few hours of driving and it does a good job.. I tried other household products such as vinegar, CLR, muratic acid, laundry detergent which all dissolved & released stuff loose that was hard to wash out LOL.. One car I had in the past was completely plugged up from hard water and lime away was used but unsure if anything was removed... Use stuff designed for cooling systems

Originally Posted By: Donald
Flush it with water. Are you sure you need more than a water flush? Are you using tap water or distilled to mix with coolant for 50/50.

When it comes time for 50/50, that's the time to take one gallon DISTILLED water, one gallon Walmart MUST ADD WATER Ethylene Glycol antifreeze, and an empty jug of water, and make two jugs of 50/50.. Times past, if the car ever sealed up right, I would compensate whatever water In there with straight EG antifreeze? But, something always happened.

I usually flush with tap or garden hose water. I used to use distilled for flushing, but, why waste $5 or so.. it's flushing..

It's no surprise to mr. mk378 who is probably the best mechanic I have ever encountered here on the Interwebs, but, that car.. Flushing won't fix it. I tried, and tried hard.. and it runs.. but, it's still ticking.

The thermostat in this one failed.. so it wasn't a clog problem..

Still, though, I'm like the poster that tried household products and THOUGHT cleaning took place.

Some cars.. you never know what went in there. That's why I'm asking about chemical flushes.. it's like washing your mouth with water vs mouthwash vs going to a dentist.

I don't like chemical flushes, unless you backflush the system with the attachment in the heater hose, you'll never get it all out.

Originally Posted By: Dufus2
On old timer told me to use 10-min flush and leave it in for two-weeks to allow it to work. I used that type of product for a few hours of driving and it does a good job.. I tried other household products such as vinegar, CLR, muratic acid, laundry detergent which all dissolved & released stuff loose that was hard to wash out LOL.. One car I had in the past was completely plugged up from hard water and lime away was used but unsure if anything was removed... Use stuff designed for cooling systems

Yeah and if you do, use it according to the manufacturer's instructions.

I use distilled water nowadays, but in past, of all the chemical ones Caterpillar had the best stuff IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back