Can't get my door open

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the passanger door on my 2004 F150 won't open this morning. Didn't have any issues with it last night, up to about 11 when we all got home. I can lock and unlock the door with both the key fob and the physical key in the door. Won't open from the inside or outside. It is around 30 degrees so I sprayed down as much as I could on the lock and handle with deicer, but that hasn't helped either. Any suggestions? Family thinks someone messed with it (of course) Thanks!

From your description, it locks and unlocks. I suspect the handle works, too...but...the door is stuck to the frame.

Did it rain last night, or was it wet yesterday?

Moisture gets into the weatherstripping...then the temperature drops and you've got an ice bond between door and frame...

Hairdryer plugged into a ground fault interuptor circuit,so you don't get zapped.

I pour warm water in the body line between the roof & door, let it run down & around, open the door, dry it off before it freezes onto the weatherstripping. After being locked out of the xB in the last ice storm here, even pulling the handle off the hatch trying to open it (!) & having to reinstall the door weatherstripping a few times after it stuck to the frame when the door opened, it's the only way (unless you can get the truck into a heated garage).

If it's 30 degrees out, parking with that door facing the sun may be enough to thaw it out.

Danno's got the same trick I've used in the past. Good windshield washer fluid at room temp. After that, a hair dryer on a GCFI. Good luck!

While holding the handle open on the outside have someone push the door from the inside
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
If the rubber seal is frozen try to get in from any other door then toss your jacket into the back seat and crank the heat on high. It will thaw the ice seal.
Treat the rubber seals as mentioned before.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
While holding the handle open on the outside have someone push the door from the inside
thumbsup2.gif

That's what I would try.

A good chance your door seals are frozen. Can you park it in a warm place (above freezing) for a couple of hours?

If you washed it recently, a good preventive is to wipe down the rubber door seals (after washing) with a dry cloth before leaving it in the cold.

Anytime my truck gets washed, or wet when it's below freezing, I simply prop open the doors, and let the water freeze for 30 minutes, or so, before closing tight. Also operated all the handles, crack the windows open, etc. every once and a while until the water has a chance to freeze. After it's been closed up for a couple hours, I just operate everything again. Works great. If it gets caught out in freezing rain, once I can get in, I safely sit an electric heater inside to thaw it out for a bit, instead of waiting forever for the heater to melt a 1/4 inch of ice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back