Value Power batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know where else to post this, I figured this part would be ok.

I recently went to walmart and they now stock Value Power batteries which are priced at 48 dollars and it looks like they are priced like that across the board for all size batteries.

I looked at them briefly and i think they were made by Johnson Controls.

I'd be curious to try one and see how it works out. No idea what kind of warranty they have though, I'll have to look more closely next time i check them out.

Last edited:
I was told or read somewhere that the price you pay for a battery basically has the replacement factored in. Therefore, with 2 or 3 yr warranty battery costing $100 on average- that $50 walmart value battery with the 1 year warranty is in line. I would take the risk.

Judging from the latest Consumer Reports test of batteries, JC batteries can have very, very different results depending on which customer they were made for.

With that said, $50 for a battery that lasts two years doesn't seem so bad. AutoZone wants $125 for one of their Duralast Gold batteries, and I doubt that it would still be in great shape after 3-4 years anyway.

It's more likely that a $125, 1 yr warranty battery would last 4 years than a $125, 3 year one would last a decade.

battery prices seem to have really gone up in last 5 years.

wal mart likes to make manufacturers make stuff cheaper, sometimes not for the best.

$48 for a car batters seems would barely cover postage to the store.

its half the price of a typical 1 year warranty battery. it went right into a 2002 impreza i bought wednesday from auction with no hesitation.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Judging from the latest Consumer Reports test of batteries, JC batteries can have very, very different results depending on which customer they were made for.

With that said, $50 for a battery that lasts two years doesn't seem so bad. AutoZone wants $125 for one of their Duralast Gold batteries, and I doubt that it would still be in great shape after 3-4 years anyway.

The battery manufacturer should be one of the items in a quality checklist not the only item.

The battery will live a long life if it's state of charge is usually close to full. Even the most expensive flooded battery will die a very early death if chronically drained and not properly charged.

I'd buy one. Down here the brutal heat kills any battery I have put in my car.

I'm replacing the battery anyways often, mine as well spend 48 bucks.

I have not gotten into AGM batteries, or optima type batteries yet, I have always bought the part store gold battery, or sears.

Next spring, I plan to replace the battery (a Walmart Everstart-MAXX that is pushing 9 years old) in my Cadillac. I will almost certainly get a Value-Power. (In fact, I may get one sooner, and give it the best possible chance by charging it fully and putting it on a maintainer all winter.)

My old heaps mostly sit and drain the batts flat. A little 5.99 1/2 amp trickle judiciously divided between heaps keeps them alive. I am coming to believe that any battery's life can be maximized with a trickle charger.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
I figure it can't hurt to try a bargain battery once.

I prefer to let somebody else be the Guenna pig here. I will not be convinced that they are any good until I see reports of them being in service my many people over a period of years.

Went to get a Value Power battery today for the family beater. No joy. They don't make any batteries for older mopars. Had to buy the $100 one, but at least it is the correct fit and it will fit my old van when I scrap the car in a couple of years.

well guys its day 4 of owning a value power battery and my house hasnt burned down yet since the car is sitting in the garage. stay tuned.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
well guys its day 4 of owning a value power battery and my house hasnt burned down yet since the car is sitting in the garage. stay tuned.

I got mine about a month ago and the old hooptie still starts right up every time! I think someone on here recommended wiping your battery down with Pledge. I can say I'm not that proud of it.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
I figure it can't hurt to try a bargain battery once.

I prefer to let somebody else be the Guenna pig here. I will not be convinced that they are any good until I see reports of them being in service my many people over a period of years.

This.
When I 1) see a cut out of one and 2) see data over time that shows they do not have a high failure rate, then I will believe that they are a quality piece.
The Maxx (on their own web site) only has a 62% rate when purchasers were asked if they would buy it again. Given the fact that the Maxx is their flagship battery, I doubt the lower priced battery with an abbreviated warranty will garner higher praise. Something produced to this sharp of a price point had to have more cut from it than the warranty, either that or it is a loss leader. Time will tell on the latter.
Given the fact that I have had to access the warranty at least once on EVERY Wal-Mart car battery that I have ever purchased, I have my doubts on this one.
Good luck to the early adopters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back