06 duramax with 120k smoking. Not injectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother in law bought this truck from a lot in California and after he changed the oil for the first time it immediately started to smoke pretty bad.

He had a good source check injectors and they are good

Are duramax systems knows to wear out this fast or is his rings coked up?

He told me the source that looked the motor down claims it's worn out. I just have a hard time believing that. And, brother in law isn't a diesel mechanic just like myself...

What do you suggest?

Compression test would be a good start, finding a reputable diesel mechanic would be a good idea as well. Tough to diagnose over the internet-sure he didn't overfill it with oil?

He has had the truck for a while now. The first oil change was done by the diesel shop and that's when they noticed the thick oil draining from the crank case and the sudden smoke with 15w40.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
What color smoke?

Nice thing about the older Diesels (this Duramax may be a bit new for it ...) is you can tell what's wrong with them by the color of the smoke.

Briansmobile1 on YouTube did a little video about a smoking Duramax. It was a fuel leak at the fuel filter housing, where an O-ring had failed and allowed air to enter the fuel system.

Is it steam or smoke?

White smoke on a diesel is incomplete combustion. Steam is coolant enteirng the combustion chamber.

Last edited:
Maybe they had it all chipped up to a bazillion hp or were rolling coal everyday.. Engine gets borked from the tune.. they trade it in... boom its worn out at 100k miles.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
My brother in law bought this truck from a lot in California and after he changed the oil for the first time it immediately started to smoke pretty bad.

He had a good source check injectors and they are good

Are duramax systems knows to wear out this fast or is his rings coked up?

He told me the source that looked the motor down claims it's worn out. I just have a hard time believing that. And, brother in law isn't a diesel mechanic just like myself...

What do you suggest?

No, They are good engines, My '06 LBZ has close to 340,000 miles on it, 100,000 of those are heavy towing miles, I also maintain a fleet of LMM & LML Duramaxs for a customer, They get ran hard by idiot illegal immigrants towing trailers loaded with equipment.

"The Engine is worn out" Is NOT a professional diagnoses of a known reliable diesel engine at 120,000 miles. Is it Consuming Oil or Antifreeze???? If its not using any of these....The White smoke is RAW FUEL, And would surprised if the engine runs good??

Dmax is a pretty stout engine. Mine hardly moves unless it has a 33 foot trailer on it.

I have a hard time believing it is "shot", just needs someone more knowledgeable to work on it...

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
Smoke is light gray

That's the problem with these "once-removed" threads; you don't know enough about the history of the truck, nor the current problem for anyone to make an accurate diagnosis.

Either bring the truck to a GM dealer, or to someone who is intimately familiar with these engines and has the proper tools to conduct a thorough inspection.

clues.

1. after he changed the oil for the first time it immediately started to smoke pretty bad.

2. they noticed the thick oil draining from the crank case

--------------

It's not a fuel issue.

Truck was abused and developed a problem that was hidden by thickening the oil with a cheap additive and then sold. Rings/bore/valve seals. Run thorough compression check and bring the checkbook for the repair.

My $0.02. sorry it's not optimistic.
frown.gif

It is possible the truck was abused and they covered up the low compression with thick oil or tons of Lucas or something. Once that the special brew of oil was taken out it started smoking...

I would just get a good compression test done on the cylinders to know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back