Wiper chattering stopped with wd-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My blades are about a year old.

Recently they developed a chatter when there's smaller amounts of water on the windshield. After a quick goggle search, I found this link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Windshield-Wiper-Blades-from-Squeaking

I'm totally flabbergasted at how well this worked. I did not anticipate it working so well! Not only do they not chatter, but they actually wipe cleaner too!

It says it's not a long term fix, but I like it enough to recommend it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
My blades are about a year old.

Recently they developed a chatter when there's smaller amounts of water on the windshield. After a quick goggle search, I found this link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Windshield-Wiper-Blades-from-Squeaking

I'm totally flabbergasted at how well this worked. I did not anticipate it working so well! Not only do they not chatter, but they actually wipe cleaner too!

Not sure how long this will last, but considering I'm saving $15bucks, I'm smitten
smile.gif

RainX wiper fluid works for me. The graphite on the blades is there to be a lubricant so they don't chatter. .

I use Motorkote Spray on a rag , saturate the rag with spray , wipe the blade down and let it air dry for an hour or so , and no more chatering

I just keep an eye out for sales/close-outs and try to grab a few sets for cheap. Costco used to have a top-notch "Goodyear" branded wiper, but this year they have the junkier model.

Cleaning the blades with some window cleaner on rag helps stop chattering for me, along with cleaning the windshield regularly.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
How about a set of silicone wiper blades. Scotty kilmer has a video about them.

REV UP YOUR ENGINES!!!

Originally Posted By: mclasser

REV UP YOUR ENGINES!!!

lol!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Why WD40? Did you think about synthetic 0W20 motor oil :)

I am absolutely certain that 5-20 would work much better, they would run quieter and last much longer.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Why WD40? Did you think about synthetic 0W20 motor oil :)

I am absolutely certain that 5-20 would work much better, they would run quieter and last much longer.
excellent reply is excellent

The wipers on my Nissan are absolutely but, I hate to drive in the rain. I tried cleaning the windshield and replacing the blades with the $8 Goodyear blades from Walmart and it's just as bad.

The previous owner ripped the blade rubber off his old blades to reduce the noise but that ain't happening.

I might try rainX or wd40

Make sure the blades are very close to 90deg from the windshield so they flop over properly. If they aren't a little adjustment with a crescent wrench should help. I clean my wipers with isopropyl alcohol. Just about the opposite of wd-40. Some cars (Mercedes, others) flip the wipers over at park 50% of the time so they don't take a set one way or the other.

I also use aquapel. It seems to last at least 6 months.

This is a short term band aid, the permanent way to cure wiper chatter..

1) Determine which direction is responsible for the chatter, moving up the windshield from the bottom position near the cowl or returning.

2) Stop the wipers in the extended position to make it easier to work on.

3) Put some masking tape around the wiper arm flat close to the blade end.

4) Use a small wrench on the taped area of the flat (a small adjustable is fine) and tweak the arm slightly. To the right looking at it head on if it chatters moving from the low position and to the left if it chatters returning.

5) Check the operation and tweak as necessary.

Edit: silveravant has the same idea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
Cleaning the blades with some window cleaner on rag helps stop chattering for me, along with cleaning the windshield regularly.

REV UP YOUR ENGINES!!!

lol.gif

I like Scotty, but his method of driving with a LOT OF lawyer thinner in the tank... doesn't work. (Made my car run better than it ever has, though.)

Besides the stuff already suggested to help the blades, I clay bar the front and rear windows as well as the rest of the outside glass on my vehicles twice a year.

Originally Posted By: BreakerBreaker
driving with a LOT OF lawyer thinner in the tank... doesn't work.
This country needs a lot more lawyer thinner...

I put a pair of these inserts on my Mazda recently. Only time will tell how much longer, if at all, they last than natural rubber inserts, but the wiping performance is excellent.

Silicone Inserts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back