Fully or Semi Synthetic Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am based in hot and humid Saudi Arabia and drive a BMW E60 530i 2004 with 200,000km. I had my engine head opened last year to replace various gaskets and clean the Chambers etc. Because there was a Gasket leakage.

Ever since I purchased the car, I have been using Liqui Moly 10w-40 for initially 2 years and 5w-40 since last year.

I went to Liqui Moly dealer yesterday to look into full synthetic 5w-30 Lm, and he did not recommend it for my car citing its age + mileage.

He also cited the high sulphur in Saudi petrol, and how the recommended Lm range is better suited, as per research of the German engineers. Could there be any truth to it, or is it [censored] c?

Euro cars have always liked a thicker oil. They run well on a hdeo as well. Look in the manual, the spec'd range of acceptable will be huge.
200 k isn't that much, but I would stay with a 5w40 if it were me

BMW LL-01 and a (x)W-40 would be my recommendation.
German cars have always been specced thick oils with high HTHS and taking into account that you live in an area were low temps arent an issue i'd just stick with (x)W-40 weight oils.

LL-01 Oils are specced for high sulfur gas. LL-04 are specced for low sulfur gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noobie
BMW LL-01 and a (x)W-40 would be my recommendation.
German cars have always been specced thick oils with high HTHS and taking into account that you live in an area were low temps arent an issue i'd just stick with (x)W-40 weight oils.

LL-01 Oils are specced for high sulfur gas. LL-04 are specced for low sulfur gas.

Thanks, so it means that i can happily continue pouring 5w-40 into my engine.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
What did the motor service cost you there if I may ask?
About a grand US. I have been told this is very economical compared to US.

I also did a complete tear down service on my tranny for about 2 grands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Babar
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
What did the motor service cost you there if I may ask?
About a grand US. I have been told this is very economical compared to US.

I also did a complete tear down service on my tranny for about 2 grands.

wow, that is cheap,

In summer: use synthetic, else use semi and change sooner.
I bet you have a lot of idle time also, so take into account.

use oil spec'd for vehicle, liquid moly dealer maybe correct, but for a pass vehicle it won't make that much of a difference, remember oil is cheap, just change it when in doubt.

Saudi Arabia?
ONLY full synthetic, W40 weight. Whether it is 0W40 or 5W40 does not matter, as long as it meets BMW LL-01.
Find Mobil1 0W40 and pour it in.

That 5w30 Liqui Moly oil might have such a low TBN that it isn't recommended where high sulfur fuels are used. If it says VW 504/507, that would prove that it is a low TBN oil that isn't recommended where high sulfur fuel is used.

The 5w40 and 10w40 variants probably has a much higher TBN which is a must with high sulfur gasoline.

Would I gain anything (protection, performance, kudos lol) by moving to Mobil 1?

A friend recommended me a new Mobil 1 New Life 0w-40 mix.

Would I gain anything (protection, performance, kudos lol) by moving to Mobil 1?

No.

Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan

No.
No to any gains ?

I went ahead and ordered 7 liters of Mobil 1 New Life 0w-40. This is the European mix and gets blended in France, as per the label. But have not had time to change it yet. I still have a few miles left to my next OCI.

What should be my OCI on Mobil 1 0w-40 ?

Last edited:
With (fuel) high sulphur contents - probably not more than 10,000 km.

But, in Saudi Arabia during (long&hot) summer - I wouldn't bet on xW-40`s.
Something like this (API SN, xW-50) is much more appropriate

http://www.ravenol.de/uploads/tx_ravenol/pdf-print/RAVENOL_RSE_SAE_10W50_1.pdf

The average summer temperature is about 45° C, but readings of up to 54° C are not unusual. The heat becomes intense shortly after sunrise and lasts until sunset, followed by surprisingly cool nights. In the winter, the temperature seldom drops below 0° C, but the almost total absence of humidity and the high wind-chill factor make a quite cold atmosphere. In the spring and autumn the heat is temperated, temperatures average around 29° C.
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/climate/Saudi-Arabia.htm

I am following 10,000 km OCI currently with LM 5w-40 as well. So I guess will continue the same with Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back