FULL SYNTHETIC FROM START TO 24,000 MILES TO SYNTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 2015 FORD ESCAPE I have run full synthetic 5w20 Service Pro for 24,000 miles. Took into dealer they service it with Motorcraft 5w20 Synthetic blend. Service writer told me no problem. Yet I always understood you start with full synthetic stick with it. Need input here?

Worrying about nothing. OLM will prob take you to around 7500-8200. Do the same there. Add synth and go 15k+ if you like. or 3k. or 10k. none of it will matter.

You can switch between synthetic, synthetic blends & conventional oils as much as you want to. You know there is no issue in mixing or switching them when synthetic blends exist because they mix both synthetic & conventional oils together, obviously no ill effects from that.

Simply remember to routinely check your oil level-which you'd do anyway!

Saying that...."We've" (me and my friends) always been careful to monitor level when changing from conventional to synthetic. Kira

Does anyone know what the basis of this myth is/was (I'm asking)?

They used to claim that going from conventional to synthetic would result in leaks. Maybe this was spurned from neglected engines, additional cleaning from the synthetic, and resultant leaks from seals or gaskets. Some used to claim that the "smaller" molecules of synthetic could leak past seals easier.

But, where did the fear of switching from synthetic to conventional come from? I'm curious.

" Maybe this was spurned from neglected engines, additional cleaning from the synthetic, and resultant leaks from seals or gaskets. "

Exactly

Originally Posted By: Baseball17
Yet I always understood you start with full synthetic stick with it.

That's a myth, and no one ever seems to explain the "why" part of this. If you switch to conventional or a blend, what will happen? Your oil change guy's margins will go down? The oil company will be sad?

Originally Posted By: Baseball17
In my 2015 FORD ESCAPE I have run full synthetic 5w20 Service Pro for 24,000 miles. Took into dealer they service it with Motorcraft 5w20 Synthetic blend. Service writer told me no problem. Yet I always understood you start with full synthetic stick with it. Need input here?
Oil is oil todays oils are all so good.Any known quality brand will work well.

not sure it was myth about changing back and forth. had to do with the gaskets in engines in the late 70s and early eighties.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
not sure it was myth about changing back and forth. had to do with the gaskets in engines in the late 70s and early eighties.

That sounds like the other half of the myth.

I switched back and forth between dino, blend, full synthetic, and whatever combination of leftovers I had on the shelf from day one. At 200K miles the valve train looks showroom fresh and the compression is great. It really won't hurt anything.

You can switch back and forth as many times as you want, no worries, that's just an old wives tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back