I almost CAN'T go away from a TOYOTA selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a Toyota fanboy, never drove one until two years ago. But I gave them a try on their past history recently. So thus in total, I have only been a Toyota owner for two years but I can say this, although there has been some 6 speed tranny shudder shenanigans on my Camry... AS a car guy... their Toyota parts are so interchangeable and so ubiquitous and things in most of there 4cyl engine bays are so simply located, and the track record is so consistently reliable 300k miles.... that I almost CAN'T select a replacement for my recently deceased Corolla that isn't from Toyota.

Other makers have so many engine changes and mid year- engineering changes and tranny changes that I recall my Chevy owning experiences in the mid 2000's as a constant battle figuring out exactly what month the car was made so I could get the right pins, or fuse or some other little thing. And the Fords just seem "blah". And I don't want turbos and their coking and cool down time and their cluttering up the engine bay.

Is there ANY competition for the simplicity and reliability of a Corolla/Rav 4/Camry? I really would love another choice but I am a practical guy and seeing as I have one Toyota left in my household fleet and seeing that just after two years I can see how easy they are to work on and how it will be the boring and more expensive choice to just go with a Toyota.

It' like I've been sucked in by practicality. Not that it's bad. Just looking for other REAL options.
Somebody convince me that there is another maker with simply made non death trap, non (made that engine one year only) compact to mid sized car that isn't basically dead at 150k miles.

I used to be like that about Hondas. After switching to Mercedes, BMW and Audi, I simply do not feel safe in a Honda any more. Too much like a tin can.

I can't say that a BMW or a Mercedes will be as simple as a Corolla or a Camry (an Audi definitely is not going to be) but they are reliable and safe cars.

But I don't think this is what you are looking for.

In general, I've found that Asian manufacturers tend, in general, to stick to a technology they find works. Some of the last cars to finally give up on distributors and ignition wires have been Asian vehicles. Honda still uses manually adjustable valvetrains. Even their brand new V-6 engines don't use camshaft phasing.

There are certainly pros and cons to that strategy. I personally think the pros outweigh the cons, but others do not, and that's okay. Different strokes for different folks, right?

They are very boring cars and attract folks who like that that serve their owners. Basically a fridge or washing machine. Nothing wrong with that just some folks don't care just turn the key and go. Akin to put soap in my washer throw clothes in and they wash.

Honda offers similar IMHO with a bit better driving dynamics.

I think I'd say the same about the Hondas I've had in my life. I don't think the chassis on a Honda is a refined as a Toyota, but haven't had any issues with finding parts. Look at that J series 6cyl engine Honda's been using/refining for 20 years or so now.

Buy what will make you happy, no need for anyone to convince you of anything.

I've become a Toyota fanboy. I loved my VW, I tolerate my Toyota... but I found boring Toyota's fit me better. Boring car means I have zero desire to "misbehave" in traffic. A "fun" car rewards such behavior, and I'm just no longer interested in it.

I've found my base model Toyota's to be well equipped, and simple. I really want a Corolla of the same vintage, that way all three vehicles have the controls in the same locations, work the same way, etc. Pure appliances, just like the fridge/washer/dryer/stove.

I don't like the styling direction they have gone, so I might not buy a new one again. But I really want another one.

Fanboy-ish aside, I'm not sure about the rest of your wants. I'm not sure that other makers are that much worse than Toyota--they all can make stinkers. Bad ergonomics, hard to service, or stupid things like bad design (*cough* sealed transmissions) or weak spots (*cough* differentials, steering racks, water pumps). Pick something that is getting towards the end of its design cycle, with all the issues known, and buy that. Skip most of the options. All of them will be reliable enough.

For a guy who is ok owning an "appliance" type auto....

Is there anything I should seriously put up against another Corolla?

Any domestic that really have shined since they had an update in the mid 2000's?

An AWD Lexus is250 would be nice.
wink.gif

Toyota, AWD (since you live in snow.) and slightly luxurious.

I do prefer Lexus car lines over Toyota lines. Their SUV's not so much. Give me a 4runner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
They are very boring cars and attract folks who like that that serve their owners. Basically a fridge or washing machine. Nothing wrong with that just some folks don't care just turn the key and go. Akin to put soap in my washer throw clothes in and they wash.

Honda offers similar IMHO with a bit better driving dynamics.

Honda CAN be a nice car IMHO but they get stolen waaaaaaayyyyy too much. Turned me off to the brand.

Hondas get stolen more than just about every other car.. also, Ford F150... the Top 10 Stolen usually have Honda, Chevy Caprice (old,) Escalades, and pickups on them.

My wife and I drive what we like. We know our vehicles may not be the cheapest or most reliable to own, but we don't care.

Toyotas are very boring, but they make up for it by being very reliable, and built for the long haul. My last Corolla, a '99, went 295K before it developed a bad valve in the engine. My current Corolla, an '04, just passed 250K and is still going strong...still gets 35+ mpg, and I think this one will go over 300K easily...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Buy what will make you happy, no need for anyone to convince you of anything.

+1

If a Toyota is what you want, a Toyota is what you should buy.
Generally speaking, they are good values new (not so much used unless you go out 5 or more years.)
They aren't the most exciting vehicle in the world, but they generally stay put together and hold their resale well.
They are "appliance" like but that is what most people really need , if not want.
I generally buy Honda's or Fords, so much so that when we buy a car anymore my wife will ask "Is it going to be a Honda or a Ford."
I know in my case, that there is nothing in the Honda or Ford lines that I really like at present, so I will be exploring other options at the next vehicle buy.
I probably will consider a Toyota next time.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I used to be like that about Hondas. After switching to Mercedes, BMW and Audi, I simply do not feel safe in a Honda any more. Too much like a tin can.

I can't say that a BMW or a Mercedes will be as simple as a Corolla or a Camry (an Audi definitely is not going to be) but they are reliable and safe cars.

But I don't think this is what you are looking for.

Hmmm, Hondas have excellent crash tests scores that easily meet BMW or Mercedes crast test scores.

BMW and Mercedes reliable???!!!!!!!! As a Honda???!!!!! BMW and Mercedes reliability numbers are actually pretty bad, their resale value is ABYSMAL, and WHEN the break they are VERY expensive to fix.

If one wants an expensive German car, go ahead and buy one, it's your money.

My Avalon and some of the Lexus parts are also interchangeable. An Avalon or 350 Lexus gives you even more options if you want a very reliable car, a bit more styling, and interchangeable parts. I would never own a Mercedes or BMW unless I could do most of the work myself. A friend of mine had a 5 series BMW. The battery went out at 37,000 miles and they charged him $500 to install a new battery.

Before I bought my 2014 Accord and Civic I did about six months of researching, test driving, reading and more reading...

My two finalists were Camry/Corolla and Accord/Civic. After I did extensive test drives of both, and looked at the price/mileage numbers, I decided on my 2014 Accord EX-L and 2014 Civic EX-L. Important point, look at the EX-L versions of the Honda's, not the el-cheapo DX/LX.

Hands down the Honda's were quieter and had a better "luxury" feel to the Toyota's.

It was a toss up on the two brands on reliability...

Oh, and on styling, I thought the 2014 Honda's had better lines...

i like to think i have a unique perspective on toyotas from stripping a corolla down to bare metal and chopped it into 8 pieces. it had unfortunate non repairable frame damage.

first, it was extremely easy to separate the roof from the rest of the car, the middle pillar was the thickest part, but the HF saw only complained some.

second, the left and right front quarters took a little bit of creative thinking but once again HF came through and melted through the frame channels.

thirdly, the rear quarter panels were a bit easier due to access being much better and angle cuts not as difficult as the front.

some last minute cuts to the lower pan killed the HF saw. I think i purchased it for $20 or so about 4 years ago, it will be replaced by an orbital bostich shortly but i might buy another HF someday.

finally, the managable bits were easy to load by myself.

well done toyota.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Before I bought my 2014 Accord and Civic I did about six months of researching, test driving, reading and more reading...

My two finalists were Camry/Corolla and Accord/Civic. After I did extensive test drives of both, and looked at the price/mileage numbers, I decided on my 2014 Accord EX-L and 2014 Civic EX-L. Important point, look at the EX-L versions of the Honda's, not the el-cheapo DX/LX.

Hands down the Honda's were quieter and had a better "luxury" feel to the Toyota's.

It was a toss up on the two brands on reliability...

Oh, and on styling, I thought the 2014 Honda's had better lines...

I actually like the previous generation Civic better than the Corolla...I think Honda ruined the Civic though with it's latest generation looks wise...the body lines are very generic looking now...at least the previous gen had a distinctive shape to it, especially the sedan...

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
It' like I've been sucked in by practicality. Not that it's bad.

I would be interested if they had something at sort of a mid level sports car type level. Toyota is one of the companies that have forgotten horsepower and RWD cars, and I'm not about to dump close to $70,000 on the Lexus version, when a 370Z is half that. This is where I get annoyed with Honda and Toyota. There are too many cars out there with way too much practicality and not the slightest bit of character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back