Antique Engines...Modern Products/Old Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I still have two flatheads, with one getting used regularly, for motor oil you really can't beat an HDEO for one of these Fords. I have been running 15w-40 in them for at least 25 years, and before that it was straight 30 wt HDEO. I would be hesitant to run anything thinner that a 40 wt. due to such low oil pressure on these when hot. Mine run a power take off at idle and warm oil pressure idling on any flathead will always require a second look.

I will recommend MMO as a gas additive, along with stabil. It seems to keep the combustion chambers/spark plugs cleaner, but as mentioned mine idle 98% of run time.

Thanks roadrunner1, we still have my father's '48 Ford F-6 boom truck with PTO that we used to lift cars with in the junkyard. He bought a Ford flathead 8BA rebuild crate engine back in the '60's for it. Running ever since. Not as much use now, the junkyard is gone. I use Stabil for mine, MMO I still need to know more science, but I respect the advice, my Dad swore by MMO,

I also have 2 flathead Chryslers (Industrial 6) or the Crown in the marine world. One is on a 4" fire pump that gets used throughout the summer, so it sits for 7 or 8 months. It had always had a valve or two stick upon restarting after inactivity, we tried several gas additives, lead substitutes and then settled on MMO. This is the engine we have seen the most improvement in as it hasn't run this good in years and no more sticking valves. MMO gets added to my 300 gallon bulk tank, so everything gasoline powered gets dosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back