Oil's affect on motorcycle gear shift feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I have noticed here is that there hasn't been any discussion regarding how slick a given oil is or how much it cushions.

As for the Valvoline line of moto oils, I have to agree that it is some good stuff.

One thing I have noticed is the smell it has. Could it be Fish oil that I am smelling?

I know that some truck transmissions like the NV4500's in some Chevy's and Dodges have that use a special gear oil that prevents the synchronizer cones from sticking. Is that fish oil?

What say the gurus?

Originally Posted By: Noidly1

"Shear" is when the molecule chain is broken down leaving multiple fractions of that chain making the oil thinner.

It doesn't matter what grade/viscosity/multi/straight an oil is, all oils will shear when their threshold has been crossed.

You said that first part like I didn't already know it.

The latter is simply not true. Educate yourself before educating others. Look at a couple UOA's, it DOES matter. All oils shear a bit, but monogrades tend to stay in grade / shear less, while multigrades sometimes lose much of their initial viscosity during the OCI. A 20w50 can become a 20w30, etc.
As a wise member said, generally 'the bigger the spread, the bigger the fail'.
This plays a role in engine wear, gear shift feel, oil consumption and a bunch of other things.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792

"Shear" is when the molecule chain is broken down leaving multiple fractions of that chain making the oil thinner.

It doesn't matter what grade/viscosity/multi/straight an oil is, all oils will shear when their threshold has been crossed.

You said that first part like I didn't already know it.

The latter is simply not true. Educate yourself before educating others. Look at a couple UOA's, it DOES matter. All oils shear a bit, but monogrades tend to stay in grade / shear less, while multigrades sometimes lose much of their initial viscosity during the OCI. A 20w50 can become a 20w30, etc.
As a wise member said, generally 'the bigger the spread, the bigger the fail'.
This plays a role in engine wear, gear shift feel, oil consumption and a bunch of other things.

Ok!

One thing I have noticed here is that there hasn't been any discussion regarding how slick a given oil is or how much it cushions.

As for the Valvoline line of moto oils, I have to agree that it is some good stuff.

One thing I have noticed is the smell it has. Could it be Fish oil that I am smelling?

I know that some truck transmissions like the NV4500's in some Chevy's and Dodges have that use a special gear oil that prevents the synchronizer cones from sticking. Is that fish oil?

What say the gurus?

Must have missed the bit on HTHS and pitch line pitting, and the discussion on Friction Modifiers and wet clutches.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
What the fluids are is irrelevant. Water and molasses help illustrate the effect. When talking of a given system, higher viscosity fluids flow more slowly through a given nozzle/orifice. Thus, the higher oil (back-)pressure generated by higher viscosity fluids is required just to 'catch up,' in terms of flow rate through a nozzle, with the lower viscosity fluids.

Your assertion is only true or useful here if you had been talking of two same-viscosity fluids operating at different pressures.

Do you understand fluid flow kinetics ?

Obviously not, as you need the water/mollasses dtrawman to make a point...an irrelevent point, as we are talking fluids of nearly similar viscosity in a warmed up state (or we wouldn't be talking about cooling)

Can you demonstrate any single engine oil which has a viscosity of molasses at operating temperature (or one that's close to water even) ?

Strawman...not relevant.
Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
First you said that higher viscosity fluids (which are what cause the higher pressures in this context) increase flow through orifices/nozzles. Now you're trying to marginalize the viscosity difference. You just marginalized your own assertion. Well done.
smile.gif

Whatever the relative viscosities of the two fluids, the higher viscosity fluid requires higher pressure in order to flow the same volume through an orifice, even if you're now marginalizing your own incorrect application of the initial principle.

bulwnki well said.
It's not bulwnkl that doesn't "understand fluid flow kinetics".

Take Larry's measured figures at 6,000RPM, and assume Mr Honda's squirters are 1.0mm dia.

Oils are considered at 100C, as that's what the KV is on the data sheet.
30W - 60 psi - M1 AFE
40W - 84 psi - M 4T 10W40
50W - 90 psi. - M 4T 15W50

Flow Rate through each squirter in litres per minute (using Benoulli's equation)
30W at 60 psi - 4.6 l/min
40W at 84 psi - 5.4 l/min
50W at 90 psi - 5.6 l/min

All at pump relief (99psi)...5.9l/s

Now the piston cooling is clearly dependent on piston cooling squirter flow, so by choosing an oil simply because you don't want flow through the pump relief means nearly a 20% reduction in piston squirter flow in the mid range....simple physics.

But you'll bring up molasses and water again...

That's where Reynolds' Number Correction comes in, and again, I'll point you back to my discussion on the operation of squirters, having a larger diameter section before the nozzle, so that the orifice, pressure, and density are controlling the squirter flow, not the viscous effects of the fluid.

For the three oils and pressure, Re
30W - Re is 940
40W - Re is 760
50W - Re is 640

fto4.png

D2/D1 is the ratio of the hole to the feed pipe.

Clearly, the smaller the number (bigger feed for smaller orifice), the flatter the curve is in the range of Re's that we are talking for a piston squirter.

In the range of 0.5 (hole half feed pipe diameter), to 0.1 (hole 1/10 of pipe diameter) there's SFA difference (and you can see that the thinner viscosity is actually choked a little more (flows less) than the thicker oils around the 600 mark)...not enough to write home about

Again, if you are lubing your engine with Mollasses, and your mate is running water in his, YMMV, but engine oils at operating temperature aren't molasses versus water, whatever strawman you are trying to create.

Those calculated flow figures are not measured flow rates and are erroneous for a number of reasons:

First, unless I missed it Larry didn't state which 30W, 40W and 50W oils he used when he took his OP readings so you may not be using the right oil's.

Second, assuming the oils used were the brands you've stated, you can't use the published KV100 spec's from the PDS but rather must use the actual operational viscosities that correlate the oil pressure figures, which means used in service oil.
So instead of the 11.0cSt figure for M1 0W-30, the 9.87cSt figure with 700 in service miles would be more appropriate.
That 10% lighter oil would of course have produced a higher calculated flow rate.

Third, in addition to permanent oil shear, temporary shear will apply, consequently the kinematic 100C viscosity won't be accurate and the HTHSV at 100C should be used but we don't have those figures.

Finally, the oil back-pressure figures at a given rpm and oil temperature that oil gauge provides won't of course tell one the actual oil flow rates but it is are all you need to compare relative flow rates of different oil viscosities.
The fact that the 30W oil produced less OP than the 40W which produced less OP than the 50W is due to the lower resistance to flow of the relatively lighter oil.
Viscosity after all, by definition, is an oil's resistance to flow and shear.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
First, unless I missed it Larry didn't state which 30W, 40W and 50W oils he used when he took his OP readings so you may not be using the right oil's.

Firstly, and as I've stated, the squirters are primarily pressure/density devices.

The Reynolds Correction is small in comparison, so your argument is nit pickery at best

Second, assuming the oils used were the brands you've stated, you can't use the published KV100 spec's from the PDS but rather must use the actual operational viscosities that correlate the oil pressure figures, which means used in service oil.
So instead of the 11.0cSt figure for M1 0W-30, the 9.87cSt figure with 700 in service miles would be more appropriate.
That 10% lighter oil would of course have produced a higher calculated flow rate.

again, see the difference in the correction factor due to viscosity is small...so your 9.87Cst (nice number of significant figures for B$ BTW) is again nitpickery, and doesn't change the order of merit...FOR WHAT ARE PRESSURE DENSITY DEVICES...

Third, in addition to permanent oil shear, temporary shear will apply, consequently the kinematic 100C viscosity won't be accurate and the HTHSV at 100C should be used but we don't have those figures./quote]

No, the nozzles are expressly low shear rate devices.

HTHS is at shear rates of upwards of 10^5...KV is the correct value for pressurised nozzles...surely you know that.

CATERHAM said:
Finally, the oil back-pressure figures at a given rpm and oil temperature that oil gauge provides won't of course tell one the actual oil flow rates but it is are all you need to compare relative flow rates of different oil viscosities.
The fact that the 30W oil produced less OP than the 40W which produced less OP than the 50W is due to the lower resistance to flow of the relatively lighter oil.

YES oil pressure is due to the backpressure generated BY THE BEARINGS PREDOMINANTLY NOT NEEDING SO MUCH THICKER OIL...they draw off less, oil pressure risse

Note, and I can't believe that you are completely and obviously bypassing the fact that I was referring to PISTON COOLING SQUIRTER FLOWS...I know that you know what I'm talking about, as I know who you sought engineering advice on to "prove" me wrong.

So why the obfuscation here, to change it to total ?

Make it sound like there's some errors in my engineering ?

Here's a stepped out example OF OIL SQUIRTER FLOW

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb.../Vi#Post4164494

Clearly, CATERHAM theory diminishes piston cooling flow where such systems are installed by the designer/builder.

Have at it...go to that thread and go your hardest (or P.M. someone again)

Messed up a quote in the above

Third, in addition to permanent oil shear, temporary shear will apply, consequently the kinematic 100C viscosity won't be accurate and the HTHSV at 100C should be used but we don't have those figures.

HTHS is at shear rates of upwards of 10^5...KV is the correct value for pressurised nozzles...surely you know that.

Since 1994 i own a GSXR 1100, from 89. Usually the gear shifts Japanese - average with Shell, Castrol, what ever....

A few years ago i tried a "No-Name - House brand" Oil from Germanys biggest Motorcycle supply chain store.
The shifitng was so bad, it really "refuses " to shifting. I allmost "Kick" the gear in with my heel on the lever. This oil went out after a few hundred KMs, switching back to a other brand, problem solved.

Recently i got a deal on Motul 5100, bought it and noticed at the first ride that the shifting goes easy and smooth like never before.
I was curios, googled it and discoverd that Motul claims "Better shifting" with this oil. And really, it works!

So yes, in my expirience the oil affects the gear shift feel.

Messed up a quote in the above

Wait a second. I thought forcing oil through an orifice is the test for shear?

The test for viscosity is gravity through a cup with a hole in it.

I'm not understanding all the song and dance. Pressure density device?

Take Larry's measured figures at 6,000RPM, and assume Mr Honda's squirters are 1.0mm dia.

30W - 60 psi - M1 AFE
40W - 84 psi - M 4T 10W40
50W - 90 psi. - M 4T 15W50

Backup. Who is Larry?

I don't believe those numbers at all. At 6000rpm you should be at oil pressure relief no matter what viscosity oil you are running.

You need to recalculate everything at the same assumed relief pressure.

At the same pressure, lower viscosity oils will flow thru the squirters faster.

This whole argument is based on an incorrect premise.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Backup. Who is Larry?

I don't believe those numbers at all. At 6000rpm you should be at oil pressure relief no matter what viscosity oil you are running.

Larry = BusyLittleShop, a member here who stopped posting recently. Hope he's all right.
This is the motorcycle subforum. Some bike's tachometers don't even measure under 4k, some go as high as 20k (yes you read that right), and redline is well over that... 6k is just high idle for some
grin.gif

Please explain the sentence in bold.

Piston oil squirters will slightly increase the oiling systems overall resistance to oil flow ... but I doubt their resistance is anything close to the crank, main rod and cam bearing's resistance which would contribute to the majority of the overall flow resistance.

Wait a second. I thought forcing oil through an orifice is the test for shear?

Or a diesel injector...very high pressures (more than we are talking), very high shear rates

The test for viscosity is gravity through a cup with a hole in it.

Paint cup, with paint flowing through a hole in the bottom, yes...high viscosity and the only pressure is the weight of the paint.

Viscosity proper, it's a capillary tube, with long L/D ratio.
backup_200203_KinemVisc-Fig1.gif

High Shear viscosity (using a capillary, rotary is better), it's a long L/D capillary (through a quartz glass), with driving pressures from 100psi (Low Shear, like what we are talking) to 750psi (high shear)...again, looking at the pressures involved, HTHS in nozzle flow in engines is the wrong number to be using.

Note that shear rate is controlled volumetrically for these not via pressure/gravity (again, rotary is better than capillary)

Schematic-of-the-basic-structure-of-a-capillary-viscometer_big.png

People designing squirters tend to keep away from the capillary design by having the supply section ID a couple of times the nozzle section to avoid the feed line acting like a capillary...reduces the viscosity correction in the final point.

04092011160-1.jpg

Pressure density device?

First fundamental is Bernoulli...
Pressure, density, velocity, gravity head.

That defines the first pass for mass flow rate through a nozzle...always where you start in design.

Those are then corrected (tables) for dimensional stuff (L, L/D) and viscosity.

Short L/D, and low viscosity, low correction, longer L/D, and higher viscosity larger correction....paint cup example and high shear viscometer are polar opposite ends of the curves...one has nearly no pressure and lots of viscosity, the other extremes of pressure (and defined structure is capillary)...oil squirters are in the middle somewhere.

I'm not understanding all the song and dance.

None here.

There's a school of though that permeates certain sections of BITOG that you have to have the relief valve closed, and jam all of the oil pump flow through the engine to effect lubrication...and you do that by lowering viscosity until the valve closes.

That's wrong...you know about my jacking oil failure where as the oil thinned out, the pump slip became unacceptable and I couldn't supply the bearings with enough oil/pressure...ev00en Honda in their papers claim that a difficulty with their low viscosity drive is that eventually they have problems with squirters and actuators.

I'm trying to point out to these "performance oriented" individuals (apparently because I don't back Astra engined specials into walls, drive and ENZO, or Ride a scooter I can't comment to these three) that there are compromises in their chosen route, and one of them is piston cooling.

Seriously, if I had piston cooling, and was on the track, it's one area that I wouldn't be compromising on.

There's a school of though that permeates certain sections of BITOG that you have to have the relief valve closed, and jam all of the oil pump flow through the engine to effect lubrication...and you do that by lowering viscosity until the valve closes.

I don't think that's possible. You'd need to have some extremely thin oil to never open the bypass. There's just not enough difference in viscosity at operating temperatures

I'd have to wonder about the sizing of an oil pump if a thin 0w-20 won't open the bypass. As we've discussed many times there has to be margin built into the sizing to supply full pressure as the bearings wear.

Last edited:
[

Some things should be obvious to even the most casual observer. If they're not you need to go into real estate

[

Some things should be obvious to even the most casual observer. If they're not you need to go into real estate

No need to get personal, I was helping you out.
I mean explain how a lower visc oil would get sprayed on the underside of a piston 'faster' now that you know 6k is nowhere near pressure relief setting in most bikes (which I explained in above sentences you so kindly deleted from your quote).

can only go on the numbers that he has provided as factual for his oils in his bike for this example.

Agree wholeheartedly that for the same pressure (i.e. sitting on relief), thinner oil sends more through the squirters.

For the other thread, I used CATERHAM's own pressure/viscosity/RPM numbers...again, which I have to take as factual as presented.

[

No need to get personal, I was helping you out.
I mean explain how a lower visc oil would get sprayed on the underside of a piston 'faster' now that you know 6k is nowhere near pressure relief setting in most bikes (which I explained in above sentences you so kindly deleted from your quote).

I was being kind before. I doubt a real man would be caught dead on something that revs to 20,000 rpm. Sounds like a Cox 2 stroke in a model plane.

Agree wholeheartedly that for the same pressure (i.e. sitting on relief), thinner oil sends more through the squirters.

I knew you'd realize this reality eventually. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back