2006 Dodge Carvan 3.3. Cold start tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm just getting used to the new van, my first time with one. 2006 Grand Caravan. 3.3, 114k miles. One question is when I first got it home I noticed a very pronounced tick on cold starts for about 1-2 seconds. So changed the unknown oil to fresh 5w20 synthetic and an oem mopar filer and I still hear it but not every cold start.

Searching and talking to some other owners has given me mixed results. Some people say they never have this others say they have had this for 10's of thousands of miles.

Anyone else have this issue with a mopar 3.3 or 3.8 and if so for how long? Should I be alarmed?

Our 2007 T&C would do that, and it bugged the heck out of me. Ours actually had a warm tick, too, which I attributed to bad lifters. Different oil did seem to make a difference. Mobil 1 5W-20 was pretty noisy in it...tried it with a few different filters. Valvoline SynPower and Pennzoil Platinum were pretty quiet in it.

We sold the van with 45k miles on it, so I can't advise you on long-term consequences.

Noting to worry about. Given the van's unknown history there's probably a lifter or two with a slightly sticky check valve. The best thing you can do for it is use an oil filter with a silicone anti-drainback valve. My Mopars always tended to tick like that just a little more with Wix filters, and even though I have no concerns with the filter quality otherwise it seemed that their ADB valves leaked down a little worse. I've never had that issue with eg. Pure One, Fram Ultra, or Royal Purple filters. Even with the tick, be aware that nothing is being harmed. The "click" sound is just the lifter plunger compressing some entrained air until it bottoms out on the oil remaining inside the plunger chamber and then lifting the valve. nothing is "dry," everything is still lubricated, no metal is being gouged. My old 318 would do that occasionally, and it was still running solidly when I sold it with over 250,000 miles on its rebuild that I did at the first 200,000 miles.

I've had 2 3.3's and a 3.8. They do that sometimes. I've run just about every type of oil in mine, from 0w-20 to 15w-40. Doesn't seem to make any difference. They are little more then tractor engines. Very durable. They are pushrod engines with hydraulic lifters. You might try a high mileage oil, but personally, I would ignore it. Use a good oil, with a 5k oci. On our 2000 GC 3.3 I used M1 5W-30 and a MotorCraft FL1-a filter with a 10k/1 year oci. At 153k I sold it to one of my son's and it's still on the road every day.

great engine, don't worry about some valve tick.

tensioner pulleys and the alternator overrun clutch created the most chatter in mine.

biggest thing I'd watch for is going ahead and having the trans fluid changed, suggest a couple of drain-fills either by dropping the pan (hard if still on the oem rtv) or sucking it out the filler tube and replacing with a genuine ATF+4.

enjoy the new ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back