Reusing O-rings in a power steering pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To put an idiot mistake lightly, I had to replace my power steering pump shaft since the nut worked loose and the pulley was about to fly off the other day ago.

Last night, I put the pump back in the car and I didn't hear any metallic sounds from a freshly resealed pump or the sound of a PS pump that needed to be bled - but I had no power steering, I checked the reservoir for fluid being circulated and it was still.

I want to take the pump out again and double-check my work, but can I reuse the newly installed O-rings or should I order a new seal kit again? I think I might have gotten the cam ring/rotor assembly misaligned with the fluid passages in the pump.

Is the cost saved of not replacing worth the gamble of taking it out a third time if it does leak?

You probably be fine if you are careful removing and inspecting the o-ring but there is always that risk. I would personally change it if it was me.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
As long as you don't nick them they are perfectly fine. Why would you think they would not be?

Yes, that is what I do. Exam closely to make sure there are no nicks. Pressing them in and out can score them, but as long as there's no insult to any surface, they are good to go.

I keep a $5 pastic bin of o-rings from Harbor Freight in the garae so I can replace most sizes w/o having to run to the LAP. If it's outside that range, NAPA will have most common sizes for cheap indivually. So will a good-sized Ace Hardware. Not in the nut/bolt/hardware section, but in big revolving stands in the plumbing section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back