Why are the different syn lubes different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like different base oils? Ester,pao,etc? From my understanding,ester based oils are more polar and viscosity stable (according to Redline).

PAO group 4 have better cold temperature performance

Group 3 are less expensive I believe.

I believe the cheaper synthetic oils are mostly Group 3, while the more expensive synthetics also contain Group 4 PAO and sometimes Group 5 esters.

It's not all the base oil though, it's also the add pack ( VIIs, ZDDP, FM, TBN, etc ) that add to the overall quality (and expense) of the finished product.

Originally Posted By: esseff
Why is the different synthetic oils? Why is one better than another? What makes them different or worse?

First off,
welcome2.gif

Aside from the marketing aspect, different oil blenders use different strategies to achieve what they believe is the best blend of engine wear protection, fuel economy, and longevity (though not exclusive to those three). Most blenders have products that meet each of the various oil specifications (such as North American API SN, General Motors' dexos1/dexos2, the various European ACEA specifications, etc). Each of these represents a focus in one or more areas.

There are a lot of additives in different oils, and each plays a different role. There's not a single "golden bullet" that defines a "good" oil vs. a "bad" one, and there's no one single additive that does everything.

I see reading a UOA on Castrol Magnetec here, it doesn't seem to be loaded with the usual metal-organic compound suspects ( like molyXx and BoronXx. Now wondering if they gave it a shot of POE or other FAE to get the polar, "clinging" molecules or maybe some of the newer "invisible" salicylates.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I see reading a UOA on Castrol Magnetec here, it doesn't seem to be loaded with the usual metal-organic compound suspects ( like molyXx and BoronXx. Now wondering if they gave it a shot of POE or other FAE to get the polar, "clinging" molecules or maybe some of the newer "invisible" salicylates.

In the old days, Castrol did use esters in their Magnetec oil. However things have moved on and I believe they now use something else, but I don't know what that new thing is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back