2006 Scion xB / Metallic Oil / Lab Results ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I have a 2006 scion xb with just a little over 45k miles. Earlier in the year, I installed a supercharger. I had it polished, along with my valve cover. Prior to a drive to SoCal, I changed the oil. I had noticed it was metallic. I put about 1500 miles on the car after that and changed it again. Still metallic, but not as much. (probably due to the lower miles) Next time, I put around 750 miles on it and drained it again. This time, I took a sample of the oil and sent it to Blackstone. This was all 5-30 Mobil1.

Here is my report.
Screen%20Shot%202015-12-12%20at%202.33.37%20PM_zpsrskw2iju.png

I'm not sure how well you can view this, but I took a video of the oil. I stirred it around a bit while I was recording.

https://youtu.be/c-kr4x4D5AY

I'm thinking I did not clean my valve cover good enough, and polishing compound was still inside. Got into the oil and contaminated everything.

I'm surprised they came back with "little to no metal" in the oil. Perhaps the lack of use on the oil?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Premium filter (Wix, Napa Gold (same), Baldwin, etc.) Go over-sized if there is room. Adds capacity, cooling area, and better catchment.

With a blower, I'd go to 5W-40 Mobil1 or other premium synthetic
smile.gif

Thank you for the input everyone.

I've been using OEM Toyota filters so far. I got a couple more bottles from Blackstone. Put some miles on this oil and check it again.

I went to the Ultra and M1 0w30,I plan on running 5,000 mi before taking a sample. I am going to compare it to the M1 5w30 with the next oilchange. I do not have a turbo on my 06 xB. would be fun tho. You might want to check out the Amsoil products.

The reason I did mention Amsoil is because they have alot of oils for many different applications. I have used their oils off n on since 1980. They might benefit your engine needs.

A wild guess is the supercharger. The more power the more wear. Up the viscosity . 750 miles is virtually a virgin oil sample.

I would really think 5w30 would be fine for this engine. The TRD Superchargers are on the lowish side of boost.

Did you pulley down that S/C? Tuned properly?

To me that doesn't look metallic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back