USS Milwalkee (LCS 5) has to be towed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
The USS Milwalkee, LCS 5, commissioned in November 2015, broke down at sea and had to be towed to a port in Virginia.
Navy says it appears metal fragments in lube oil caused engine failure...

I wonder if they were using a Purolator filter?

http://wavy.com/2015/12/12/uss-milwaukee-breaks-down-is-towed-to-base-in-virginia/
That's an idiot remark. You and the tin man would be good friends. This isn't the first time this has happened to a Navy ship and indications are it's intentional. Tax money will go to fix it, one way or another. You want to make a silly joke out of it?

Last edited:
Ships have redundancy built into their propulsion systems. Even nukes have multiple reactors, turbines, diesel(s), shafts, multiple LO Pumps, filters, coolers, etc. Hard to fathom how a single LO Filter system took this ship down. Most nuclear subs only have one shaft, but still can disconnect the bulk of it and limp into port on an emergency propulsion motor. It's possible they were so close to shore that the safest course was to keep propulsion shut down until a detailed in-port inspection could be done by both the Navy and the equipment manufacturer.

Navy is having a lot of trouble with the Littoral Combat Ships...
Sailors call them "little [censored] ships"

Galvanic corrosion, cracks, engine breakdowns, cost overruns, and really poor constuction.

Yeah...What kind of silly joke is that? How do you know it was not an OCOD ??? As for the tax money going to fix it they can find millions of ways to waste tax money that is why you should find the best possible accountant for your business and pay the least amount of taxes, Legally

Wondering what kind of oil was used and if it was indeed the oil.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The USS Milwalkee, LCS 5, commissioned in November 2015, broke down at sea and had to be towed to a port in Virginia.

http://wavy.com/2015/12/12/uss-milwaukee-breaks-down-is-towed-to-base-in-virginia/
That's an idiot remark. You and the tin man would be good friends. This isn't the first time this has happened to a Navy ship and indications are it's intentional. Tax money will go to fix it, one way or another. You want to make a silly joke out of it?

Herrstig are you mad?
I thought the joke was hilarious.
Chill.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
S Even nukes have multiple reactors, turbines, diesel(s), shafts, multiple LO Pumps, filters, coolers, etc. Hard to fathom how a single LO Filter system took this ship down. Most nuclear subs only have one shaft, but still can disconnect the bulk of it and limp into port on an emergency propulsion motor.

11 years on a Trident. The last submarine in the US Navy to have twin screws was the USS Triton. It was decommissioned in 1969. It was also the only US Submarine to be designed and have two reactors.

Maybe they didn't get the factory fill out early enough.
27.gif
j/k

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
S Even nukes have multiple reactors, turbines, diesel(s), shafts, multiple LO Pumps, filters, coolers, etc. Hard to fathom how a single LO Filter system took this ship down. Most nuclear subs only have one shaft, but still can disconnect the bulk of it and limp into port on an emergency propulsion motor.

11 years on a Trident. The last submarine in the US Navy to have twin screws was the USS Triton. It was decommissioned in 1969. It was also the only US Submarine to be designed and have two reactors.

Triton was before my time. My point was that even a sub has ways to work around system failures, and for good reason. The surface ships are even more redundant due to available space. US carriers had 2 reactors, at least back in my day. LCS5 has twin screws. The Russians had subs in the 1980's with twin reactors/twin TG/twin screws. And two of the Typhoons are still operating today. My comment on twin screws wasn't just restricted to US subs. 10 years on SSBN/SSN's.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Metal in the oil,hey if its good enough for Hyundai/KIA,and Corvette.....
Sloppy manufacturing? Sabotage by lazy employees. Lack of pride in their craft?

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Triton was before my time. My point was that even a sub has ways to work around system failures, and for good reason. The surface ships are even more redundant due to available space. US carriers had 2 reactors, at least back in my day. LCS5 has twin screws. The Russians had subs in the 1980's with twin reactors/twin TG/twin screws. And two of the Typhoons are still operating today. My comment on twin screws wasn't just restricted to US subs. 10 years on SSBN/SSN's.

When did you get out?

Check your information. Both LCS class of ships have 4 Water Jets and no screws. This is if you don't count the retractable bow thruster on the Independence Class.

Ships have redundancy built into their propulsion systems. Even nukes have multiple reactors, turbines, diesel(s), shafts, multiple LO Pumps, filters, coolers, etc. Hard to fathom how a single LO Filter system took this ship down. Most nuclear subs only have one shaft, but still can disconnect the bulk of it and limp into port on an emergency propulsion motor. It's possible they were so close to shore that the safest course was to keep propulsion shut down until a detailed in-port inspection could be done by both the Navy and the equipment manufacturer.
Which class of US subs in commission has more than one kettle?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Herrstig are you mad?
I thought the joke was hilarious.
Chill.
I'm sure you think watching a little old lady fall and break her hip is just jolly, Sparky.

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter as the military is not a war winning machine it is there to benefit the contractors and the politicians that receive the lobby money. War with out profit is foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back