06 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 06 mustang gt with 24600 miles....i begged the guy for a year to sell me the car and got it for 12500 with leather seats etc....it had been sitting up for years only being ran 20+ miles a month the past 7+ years. I put four new Continental tires on it took to a ford dealer wear they changed the oil and trans fluid using Motocraft semisyn 0w 20. Washed the car and it looks like it came of the show room floor.Should the ford brand semisyn oil be ok for a v8? or should a use mobil 1 etc?

Worry not, good stuff. I'd even run it in the Accord if I found a good price on it, the MC oils seem to be top quality and well-regarded.

I also picked up a 2006 mustang gt convertible loaded ,got a great deal on it ,was a theft recovery but in great shape runs great ,yes 5 20 is what it calls for ,just wish I could flat tow it behind motorhome ,will be getting a car trailer , love the style of the car ,shaker 500 steareo is great so far so good
cheers3.gif

I'm sort of surprised that a "performance" Mustang is spec'd for a 20 grade oil. I have a feeling that these were originally 5w-30 cars that were back-spec'd to 5w-20 in the 2000-2002 period. It has the same 4.6L modular engine as my Lincoln which was back spec'd to 5w-20 (I'm going back to 5w-30).

Any quality conventional, syn, or blend should be fine for every day driving around as the key factor is how often you change the oil due to your driving style. If you plan to push it hard maybe look into a 30 weight oil like PP, QSUD, M1, etc. next OCI. Not a bad time to do that with $2/qt oil sales running at Auto Zone this month. Considering you're in sunny Phoenix, and not Wisconsin, I would imagine a heavier oil might be recommended.

If the coolant has never been changed I'd take care of that too. Continental tires are a good choice. Sounds like you got a nice car.

0w20 in Arizona on a car that calls for 5w20, I'd run 5w30 in the desert without hesitation.

What would m1 oil buy you? longer oil change intervals or better starting in below 0F starts? What makes you think the Motorcraft semi syn would be a problem?

My truck has only seen 5w20 and 0w20. My brother has an '05 GT thats only seen the spec'd 5w20... I stick with Ford specs, though I don't believe in the back spec'ing to 5w20 they did with the 4.6. Not that it hurts anything, but does it HELP?

The ford dealer told me all the 4.6 engines require thin oil for the vvt will not function properly etc.,...Ford says use 5w 20 in all the v8 models or 0w 20 in winter....,so says the service tech..,...and newer models will use thiner oil than that. you forget that AZ is very very cold in most of state in the winter...I'm driving to flagstaff today ....snow and 15 degrees

It will be fine. I would go with a full synthetic 5W-30 if you're going to run the car hard, it won't bother the VVT. If the VVT/thicker oil thing worries you, then stick with a full synthetic 5W-20 or 0W-20. But if you're not going to run it hard all the time, just about any oil will be fine.

My 4.6L has had noisy cam phasers from new that had until recently slowly gotten noisier at idle. After switching to 0w40, I can honestly say it sounds better than it has in years. I've got several UOA with 5w20 and will be pulling a sample with the 0w40 but don't expect anything drastic. It seems that the 20w oil is spec'd for CAFE reasons only. Provided my next UOA comes back as expected I'll never run a 5w20 again.

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
The ford dealer told me all the 4.6 engines require thin oil for the vvt will not function properly etc.,...
That's a out and out fairy tale, several 4.6 & 5.4 owners on here have used heavier oils and never noted any change in VVT operation... Often helps with noise, early on there was a Ford bulletin saying to use 10W-40 to quiet ticking...

you forget that AZ is very very cold in most of state in the winter...I'm driving to flagstaff today ....snow and 15 degrees

At those temps 0/5W-20 is fine...

BRRRRR sounds like a great place to be from, been in 70s last few days here on east coast...

My fiancee owns a 2007 Mustang GT with only 18,400 miles on it and we run Motorcraft 5W-20 in it.

She has owned this car since March of 2010 when she bought it used with 6,900 miles on it.

I finally convinced her last year to have the coolant flushed.

Wayne

...you forget that AZ is very very cold in most of state in the winter...I'm driving to flagstaff today ....snow and 15 degrees

I didn't forget that Flagstaff could be cold. I drove through there in March one year and it was in the 20's. But Phoenix in January has average highs of 69 deg F and 46 deg F lows. That's not my idea of "very very cold" being from New England. Those kind of temps up here would be April/May or September. A single drive to Flagstaff isn't going to amount to anything. And with that being a 2 hour drive, that engine oil is going to get plenty warm. A 20 grade is probably best for a cold weather - short tripper car.

The 5w-20 vs. 5w-30 choice is a hot topic on Mustang and other enthusiast sites concerning the 4.6L engines from 1991-20XX. Plenty of reading material if you're interested. The real question is what would engine builders and engineers recommend for getting maximum life out of the engine...without regard to CAFE mileage standards. The mileage gain of 0.6% is negligible to a lot of us ($8 per year to me).

One of hundreds

We have a house in Scottsdale and retirement home in flagstaff area....we spend more time up here than back in Scottsdale now...since we go from one extreme to another....the low Tuesday is two below zero and everybody knows how hot the valley is....I guess 0w 30 would be best for my Mustang and Toyota Highlander and Tundra truck.

Thanks for the info....i use to race motorcycle in the early 70's and come from the thought "thicker is better" i would run 20w 50 in my cars and trucks....never a problem. We ran straight 40w racing oil in my 79 Yamaha XT500 in AZ heat and the oil would look and pour like water. I never liked the idea of 0w 20 is what toyota recommends for the Highlander and used 5w20 instead.....now i will go back to 5w 30 for all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back