VTEC engine in non VTEC car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2004 Civic D17A1 engine blew up. I found a D17A2 with 75K miles, very well taken care of with new belts and water pump for $600. My understanding is that I can put a VTEC engine in a non VTEC car without a VTEC computer or wiring harness and the only difference is that VTEC will not work. Am I correct? Will it run OK? The other question is about how much does it weigh? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
How did it blow up? Timing belt?
Catastrophic overheat made it seize up.

Yes it will work like you said. You just don't plug in the VTEC solenoid. It will run OK, pass smog check, etc. but no VTEC of course.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Yes it will work like you said. You just don't plug in the VTEC solenoid. It will run OK, pass smog check, etc. but no VTEC of course.
Thank you. Any idea how much it weighs?

I highly doubt you can install the engine from your previous posts. Please have a professional install it.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I highly doubt you can install the engine from your previous posts. Please have a professional install it.
Done it in my 05 Civic.

As long as the engine isn't older than the car, you can install it. You should also be able to pick up the computer and harness.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
As long as the engine isn't older than the car, you can install it. You should also be able to pick up the computer and harness.
Will it run OK with the factory ECU and wiring?

Originally Posted By: Avery4
Done it in my 05 Civic.

It is you who should then be teaching us.
wink.gif

There must surely be a honda forum that specializes in this.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Avery4
Done it in my 05 Civic.

What I ment was I swapped my 05 Civic engine. I used the same one that came out.
It is you who should then be teaching us.
wink.gif

There must surely be a honda forum that specializes in this.

I did some research looks like it should work but will be really low on power. There appears to be some aftermarket stuff to add to your oem ecu/harness to get the vtec working it seems.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Looks like another troll post. What's up with all these trolls lately?
What is making you think that a legit post is a troll post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back