Took a drive into Canada for Krown Rust Proofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. Keep us posted!

You make me want to get my passport
smile.gif

That stuff is good. We used to spray every year yet you can get away with every 2 years.
I always tell them to soak it, don't skimp.

It is good stuff.
It has done wonders for my old pickup in regard to slowing rust down.
Have it done yearly at a Krown franchise in NW Ohio.

Did you check to make sure they installed plugs in every hole they drilled? The local Krown by me missed them or missed panels half of the time.

They let me watch the whole thing and explain the whole process while they were doing it I have no complaints and I am sure that was done properly

Ben, there are now 2 Krown dealers in Michigan, one north of Detroit and one south of Detroit (Monroe).

I switched to the one in Monroe this past summer and was very pleased with their service.

Just an FYI in case you live close enough to save some $$.

They must be good at rust proofing but their spelling on their paper work is not very good
smile.gif
. Windshield Washer "Fuild" Top Up

live slightly closer to the one in Lexington but they couldn't get me in this weekend and the dollar is so strong right now Canada was still cheaper.

One side benefit of oil spraying is your nuts& bolts and fasteners come off silky smooth even 15 years later. No busted bolts and striped threads like the rust buckets.

While a good idea, if you had done it sooner you would have picked up a warranty for rust through?

I got my Subaru done within the new car time period and its covered by warranty as long as I bring it back yearly.

The issue for me is the time to drive, wait and return. The money spent is well worth it.

Oil spraying for rust control is just catching on in the US. In Canada we have been doing it for years, as its the only way to save an expensive vehicle from the ravages of salt and rust.

Given the entrepreneurial spirit of Americans, and the tough economy I am surprised more people are not getting into this business. Low cost of entry, and basic skills needed, and a huge market to tap into. Being your own boss is very rewarding...

I just bought the car on Monday. It was new off the lot. they let me get into the new car warranty period due to the fact that it is fresh off the lot.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Oil spraying for rust control is just catching on in the US. In Canada we have been doing it for years, as its the only way to save an expensive vehicle from the ravages of salt and rust.

Given the entrepreneurial spirit of Americans, and the tough economy I am surprised more people are not getting into this business. Low cost of entry, and basic skills needed, and a huge market to tap into. Being your own boss is very rewarding...

We use to do Ziebart, Rust Jones and others. They were more like Waxoyl than Krown/Carwell and FF. Then the car companies started using more galvanized steel, and other methods to help prevent rust.

I am not sure why cars are rusting to much these days. Maybe more places using salt or the drive train lasting longer so people keeping cars longer so now its rust that kills the vehicle vs an engine or transmission.

Do they spray the entire underside of the car with an oil like substance or is this like the old fashioned undercoating where they drill holes in the body panels and spray the stuff in?

They use an oil based substance. They did put a couple holes in the rockers but for the most part they were able to get at the internal areas through factory holes. I was the first car of the day and they said they had possibly up to 50 cars to do yesterday and they had 4 guy son it at once to get it out of there ASAP. They weren't wasting any time but they really did a nice job by my estimation given what it cost. I will be coming back around April for the next treatment.

Originally Posted By: Donald

We use to do Ziebart, Rust Jones and others. They were more like Waxoyl than Krown/Carwell and FF. Then the car companies started using more galvanized steel, and other methods to help prevent rust.

I am not sure why cars are rusting to much these days. Maybe more places using salt or the drive train lasting longer so people keeping cars longer so now its rust that kills the vehicle vs an engine or transmission.

I used to walk through the auto wreckers years and see all the Zeibart and Waxoly treated vehicles and they were all rusted to junk. While the oil sprayed vehicles still had intact bodies and frames... Those companies have long disappeared in this part of the world as people figured out they had no effect on rust.

IN fact Zeibart vehicle actually rusted fasted as water got in behind the undercoating and accelerated the corrosion. The tar they uses actually blocked the drain holes in doors and would retain water and the the door bottoms out faster than with no treatment at all..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back