'09 Nissan Sentra 2.0- 5k on PYB 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two years ago, I had an analysis for a 15k run that showed a lot of metal. The car from new always showed high silicon,though I could never detect any leakage from the intake. I had the spark plugs changed and at 100k and since then, silicon has dropped, as well as wear metals. Something may not have been seated right from assembly. I started doing 5k runs on Petroleum oil for the last 6 oil changes, to clean things out, and am going back to synthetic and 10k. The car still runs and looks new, no smoke, no consumption, 30+ mpg.

Miles on Unit- 140k
Miles on oil-5k
Make-up oil-0
Filter- Fram Orange
Oil- PYB 5w-30

Blackstone comments:
Your Sentra is doing a lot better now than it was a couple years ago, so we think you could try extending your
oil changes out again. Wear is still very low after putting 5,000 miles on this oil, and silicon is low enough for airborne dirt
contamination to not be a concern. The engine might handle 10,000 miles no problem, but that's a bigger jump than we'd
like to see you take at once. The TBN was still okay at 2.6, so we'd suggest 7,500 miles for the next oil change interval.
Check back then and we'll tell you if 10,000 miles would be okay for the run after that. Nice!

ALUMINUM-2
CHROMIUM-1
IRON-4
COPPER-2
LEAD-0
TIN-2
MOLYBDENUM-250
NICKEL-0
MANGANESE-0
SILVER-0
TITANIUM-0
POTASSIUM-0
BORON-37
SILICON-22
SODIUM-7
CALCIUM-2310
MAGNESIUM-7
PHOSPHORUS-744
ZINC-861
BARIUM-0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C-56.8
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F-9.31
Flashpoint in °F-380
Fuel %-span>
Antifreeze %-0
Water %-0
Insolubles %-0.2
TBN-2.6

IN- I-Sint 5w-30 Synthetic, Fram Toughguard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyb looks like a perfect fit for your car. I'd stick with what you're doing. Nissan specs a 3700 (severe) interval I think. 10k is too long per Nissan I'm thinking,that may be where all your wear metals were coming from.

Originally Posted By: Jake777
is 9.3cst normal for this grade oil after 5k?

Seems normal to me as that's above a 20 grade. And even when new, PP, PUP, and QSUD 5w-30 start of around 9.9-10.3cst.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Originally Posted By: Al
I would just run another 3K miles with the PYB

3k?? Why?

Don't know? Maybe because there is about 3K more miles left of usable life on this oil when you sampled it?

Oh. I took it as 3k total, not on top of the 5k. I'd feel better with synthetic going 8k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back