Motul 300V 0W40 or M1 0W40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time has passed, and I'm back with the same question... I'm doing an OC in the Colt tonight, and I'm still unsure of what to use. I have Motul 300V and M1 0W40 in my stash (got both a bit by chance, was planning to use Shell 0W40 in the Colt but the Shell ended elsewhere).

What to use? I don't plan extended OCI, I was thinking like ~7000Km.

Thanks for any input!

Both will work great. If they are both in your stash then you'll have to use both up sometime.
Now if you're asking which is a better oil then my pick is Motul 300V because it's predominantly an Ester base oil. If you used this oil I'd definitely increase OCI to at least 10,000 kms if not more. You can't let a great oil like this go to waste.

Previous OCI were very long (20000Km) and the engine is a bit varnished. I've done three short OCI (3000/5000Km) to clean it a bit and there's a lot of progress, but I'm a bit unsure of the Motul cleaning abilities. It has a healthy dose of calcium, but will probably clean less than M1 ?

The M1 can find it's way to the Barchetta (you can talk about varnish...)
smile.gif

She's doing well with M1 but no turbo like the Colt. Higher redline (7100rpm) though!

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Time has passed, and I'm back with the same question... I'm doing an OC in the Colt tonight, and I'm still unsure of what to use. I have Motul 300V and M1 0W40 in my stash (got both a bit by chance, was planning to use Shell 0W40 in the Colt but the Shell ended elsewhere).

What to use? I don't plan extended OCI, I was thinking like ~7000Km.

Thanks for any input!

Good question.
I thought the 300v was designed to be changed more frequently. Designed more for racing but also good for road car use.
Motul do advise to change 300v more often. I've used 300v before on an alfa boxer. Great oil.

Ester base oil should be at the very top of your list if you want to clean resin/ varnish/ carbon deposits and free stuck rings or lifters. It also will reduce the noise from a loud valve train. Even if the 300V did not have calcium sulfonate detergent additive, the ester molecules in the base oil will "attack," dissolve, and hold in suspension deposits like no other oil.

As an additional consideration, if the engine has a significant amount of sludge, it may be best to change the oil filter part way thru the oil change interval because particulate matter moved into the filter may restrict oil flow and encourage the bypass to open.

I would also recommend not exceeding the manufacturer's OCI requirement with 300V, with the exception being getting UOAs that shows you're not over-depleting the TBN, which can be somewhat easier to do with all ester oils.

I tried 300V diester in varnished and didnt work at all. Still copper varnished belowy the fill cap. Didnt do spat for varnish. Dont do long drains if youre unconfortable with varnish.

Last edited:
Where is Frogland?

Here m1 0w40 is 25$/5qt jug

motul 300v is about 75$/5qt

so just from an economics standpoint

The m1 0w40 is a very good oil. I cant see paying 3x for motul.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Where is Frogland?

Here m1 0w40 is 25$/5qt jug

motul 300v is about 75$/5qt

so just from an economics standpoint

The m1 0w40 is a very good oil. I cant see paying 3x for motul.

Frogland is probably England.
He already has Motul bought and in stock so the whole price economics is a mute point in this case.

Well, Frogland is supposed to be France, not specially insulting, but if insulting it is more insulting toward french people in fact! I live in France btw, not specially proud of it. In fact I live in Britanny, the least French part of France with Corsica, lol

Back on topic the 300V is only marginally more expensive here. The engine is not sludged and most of the varnish is gone, but still not perfectly clean. The sump is ridiculously small with 3L only, so no more extended OCI
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Save these oils for later and use a less good one on that colt, hehe...

Why? It has 4G15T engine and is the most valuable of my cars (the others aren't worth anything, I know)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: deven
Frogland is probably England.

Are you trying to start an international incident here?
wink.gif

Darn you blew it for me
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I'm prettu sure quite a few englishmen would be insulted if called french, and maybe vice versa aswell?

That's why I fear an international incident.
wink.gif

Doing the OC today and still not decided.

Motul 300V looks better but overkill, nobody seems to have experience with it in an ordinary car, lol

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Doing the OC today and still not decided.

Motul 300V looks better but overkill, nobody seems to have experience with it in an ordinary car, lol

Go for the 300v.
I've used it in my alfa romeo 33 1.7. Was a thicker grade but still 300v and was super smooth.
Just don't keep it in for too long.

Quote:
300V is not designed for extended oil change intervals, therefore it should be changed after track/race events, at 3000 miles on ultra high performance street vehicles or at 5000 miles on lower performance engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back