Clear coating on tools - shellac??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I've not much else to say... Any ideas what the coating is??

A0A1E6A2-5DF2-4CAA-BB37-BF64624EE648_zps8go6zqag.jpg

I'd guess lacquer. Inexpensive shellac is usually amber. Quick test would be does alcohol dissolve it. If yes, it is shellac.

So, pardon my ignorance...

The all telling Wikipedia states that Lacquer can be fairly generic term, though it seems more pointed in modern speak. Specifically, "In terms of modern products for coating finishes, lac-based finishes are likely to be referred to as shellac, while lacquer often refers to other polymers dissolved in volatile organic compounds (VOCs), such as nitrocellulose, and later acrylic compounds dissolved in lacquer thinner, a mixture of several solvents typically containing butyl acetate and xylene or toluene. Lacquer is more durable than shellac."

So...

Is there a way to know what the polymer type would be, and would one type over top of another be an issue? Not sure if lacquers "cross link".

Thanks.

There is no way to simply speculate what they use for the clear coating. Since Vaughan has a very good website with a "contact us" link, you'd be much better off asking them directly what they use to clear coat their hammers with. Then you'll be armed with accurate information rather than a series of guesses.

Can you expand on the cold vs hot paints? I'd imagine that relates to solvency of cross linking reactivity?

I make hundreds of gallons for many tool manufacturers no I can't indulge of what it is.

That's right. Enamel is one example of a cold paint and lacquer a hot paint. usually paints that dry by curing eg enamels, epoxies, water base are cold and paints that dry by solvent evaporation are hot.
2K base coats fall somewhere in the middle, while they also dry by solvent evaporation its not really a hot solvent like lacquer thinner, call it a warm paint.
They can be carefully applied over cured enamel if done in light coats unlike lacquer that can act like paint remover.

They are kinda unique as far as formulations go and not really going to be home brewed in a garage.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The all telling Wikipedia states that Lacquer can be fairly generic term, though it seems more pointed in modern speak. Specifically, "In terms of modern products for coating finishes, lac-based finishes are likely to be referred to as shellac, while lacquer often refers to other polymers dissolved in volatile organic compounds (VOCs), such as nitrocellulose, and later acrylic compounds dissolved in lacquer thinner, a mixture of several solvents typically containing butyl acetate and xylene or toluene. Lacquer is more durable than shellac."

So...

Is there a way to know what the polymer type would be, and would one type over top of another be an issue? Not sure if lacquers "cross link".

Thanks.

What type of coatings are used over hard to refinish or to lock down a unknown coating.

So...

Thanks.

Try denatured alcohol in a inconspicuous spot , if it softens, its shellac. if it does not, its lacquer or poly.
Next use lacquer thinner, if it softens you know, if not it may be a poly.

For production like tools and hammers speed matters so its usually going to be lacquer.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

So...

Thanks.

Try denatured alcohol in a inconspicuous spot , if it softens, its shellac. if it does not, its lacquer or poly.
Next use lacquer thinner, if it softens you know, if not it may be a poly.

For production like tools and hammers speed matters so its usually going to be lacquer.
It is not to sure about that.

Sometimes my tools rust a bit in the garage.
Kano labs has a prevox spray i've considered using. They also have a weatherpruf coating. not sure what would be best for wiping down sockets and wrenches.

Originally Posted By: dave123

So...

Thanks.

What type of coatings are used over hard to refinish or to lock down a unknown coating.

That's kind of where my question is going.

Knowing that and what's best for bare metal would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back