1997 MBZ E420 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil would you recommend for 1997 Mercedes E420?
Car has 200.000 miles, no oil burning or leaks, driven is So California. Bought this car with 100.000 miles and been changing oil at about 5 thousand using mostly Castrol 20-50.
Thank you

Mobil 1 0w40.

Great oil. Meets every MB spec. Exceeds the spec on your car. Great UOA on my MB. Cheap at Walmart.

The Castrol 20W50 is on the heavy side for your year/engine. No need for a 20W50.

Last edited:
Thank you Astro. How often should I change synth. oil, 7-8 thousand? Car is mostly driven on a freeway with good steady speeds.

With a large sump (8.5 quarts, isn't it?), 10K miles should be easily doable on an MB 229.5 approved oil, especially that it sounds like these will be easy hwy miles.

Thank you guys, appreciate your opinions. My next oil change will be Mobil 1
I was thinking about using synthetic for a while, but then I read too many stories about engine leaks etc.
Great forum with a wealth of knowledge, thank you for sharing.

Few other options of oils meeting the MB 229.5 spec, in addition to M1 0w-40 previously mentioned:

- Castrol 0w-40
- Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40

Change interval on that oil can be pretty long. I've gone 8-9K miles- but changed because the OLM on the car called for it at a year. The oil was still good at that mileage. For your car, the interval would depend on how it's driven and how well it's running, but 7,500 would be conservative. If you stuck with MB's recommendation for your year, you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back