1992 Plymouth Acclaim 3.0/V6 cranks but no start

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to check compression to see if its below 100/ Something squirting oil into the cylinders will boost compression and get it started temporarily.

Spark would need to jump at least 1/2 inch and the plugs lead end to ground to be safe. Compression on the engine needs to be at least 125 and if not t-belt jumped. Yes ignition it controlled by distributor as it has a crank angle sensor in it that the ecm works with to fire plugs

weak ignition or bad timing. I saw this exact thing recently from a bad cap and rotor. both looked good to the naked eye. had spark, fuel, and compression, but it wouldn't catch when cranking.

Nope, still here just been busy.
Found it was seeping coolant from (firewall side) on the block under the head seam (on the outside so far at least).
So tore down and now starting to put it back together.

Will find out more once this is completed.

A compression test would have verified if that was your main issue. Could just be some seepage which has no effect on the engine running. I always believed to fix the most serious things first.

Last edited:
I'm back.
New battery, new headgaskets, new dizzy.
But doesn't start every time... have to mess with the dizzy for it to start.

Thinking possibly cam gear??

Set distributor in time with a timing light and leave it alone. If it doesn't come into proper time near the center of adjustment range, likely the cam is out of time.

You have a car with adjustable timing, you need to own or borrow a timing light to set it up.

I remember on my Spirit, I had to yank the connector off the coolant temp sensor (not the gauge one) to be able to adjust base timing.I wish I could find another Spirit or an Acclaim, it was the best car I have owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back