20 year old 185k fuel filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the factory filter that I just replaced on my dad's 1995 Buick Lesabre. Didn't think it looked too bad considering. He's had the car since around 40k miles and the filter has never been changed.

I'm not really sure why it was never changed. Car has always ran very well. It started running rough after it had warmed up so I changed the fuel filter, O2 sensor and cleaned the MAF sensor and that seems to have fixed it.

You're right - for 20 years of service, and 185,000 miles, that fuel filter actually looks like it did its job well.

However, it looks like ish to say the least. lol I mean, is it almost completely clogged? It looks like it.

You should photoshop a picture of a brand new fuel filter cut open right next to it for comparison!

The fuel filter is the most neglected in carworld.
I guess it's because of the smelly nature of gas.
Nobody wants it on them or in the air I suppose.

That's impressive. Did the car run normally?

The really sad thing is that most new cars/trucks with gas engines don't have a fuel filter, just a 'permanent' filter (sock) in the tank.

I foresee lots of injector troubles in the future.

I'm also convinced that some automakers will looks towards a lifetime engine oci, well the life of the powertrain warranty anyways...

Well the big pores got clogged, I bet it was plenty efficient and a very good filter.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Well the big pores got clogged, I bet it was plenty efficient and a very good filter.
wink.gif

Hopefully, not at the expense of the fuel pump. But at 185k, apparently not.

OBD II will tell you if fuel pressure is low. Toyota dealers don't like changing certain filers because of the chance of breaking a fitting on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back