'10-'12 2.5L Fusions and oversized oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our '11 2.5L Fusion takes the very common FL-910s filter. A very common oversize filter for this application is the FL-400s; it has the exact same specifications, with the exception that it is about 1" longer. I have read many reports of people running these oversized filters (or their equivalents) on the Fusion, and I just tried this for the first time today. Some observations:

I used the Fram ToughGard 3600 (FL-400s) equivalent. It fits, but the oil filter access hatch has to stay off; it will not screw back on since this filter is longer. Not a big deal, since many people discard these... sometimes out of necessity because all the screws eventually break off in the rust belt anyhow
grin.gif

The other thing is that since this filter is longer, it dips slightly below the radiator crossbeam. Additionally, there is a thick wire harness on the back side of that beam, right next to the filter end. There still seems like there would be enough room, even taking into account engine movement. But if one were to have a loose or sloppy motor mount, I could very easily see the filter hitting this harness. The simple fix was to unclip this harness from the beam and re-fasten it on the top of the beam support, giving the filter an additional 1" of horizontal movement in the forward direction, if necessary. There is easily enough slack in the wiring to do this, so it's an easy process... just move it up and zip-tie it.

Cliff notes version: So yes, the oversized FL-400s WILL fit on the 2.5L Fusions, but the filter drain pan cutout will have to stay off, and the harness next to the filter should be moved over for engine movement safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back