Ford's Hi-Tech Plasma can save engines...

Status
Not open for further replies.
from the scrapyard.

I saw a video about this and here's a link to the story on Ford's website:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia...n-engine-f.html

I think this is great... a novel new way to remanufacture otherwise perfectly usable engine blocks. I wonder if any savings get passed on to customers? I don't think I'd mind buying a new car if it came with a remanufactured engine - it would be nice if it's disclosed on the window sticker and it gets the same warranty as a new block.

Love this bit: "Ford also is researching and developing the use of parts produced using renewable materials including tomato fibres that are a by-product of Heinz Ketchup"

mmm... tasty!

I wouldn't have any concerns about a used block if the cylinders are lined. The rest of the parts I wouldn't be as keen on.

Remanufacturing is all about quality.

These are still research projects, and it's hard to see that they would ever be practical.

The spray would build up a cylinder wall, but that's doesn't solve a significant problem. The engine still needs to be removed and disassembled. The cylinders still need to be machined back to cylindrical. The rings still need to be replaced. The bearings still need to be replaced.

About the only thing that might be saved is pistons that are too far undersized to be reused with over-sized cylinders, or a block that has been over-bored too many times.

The plasma would put a nice layer back on the cylinder bores for later machining. Or maybe just new iron inserts like JHZR2 said. I'd be concerned about unseen cracks in the block, but with decent inspection it should be OK.

Great article!

Actually a used block has some advantages. Many heat cycles ("seasoning") applied to a casting before final machining helps relieve stress areas and makes it more dimensionally stable so that the machined tolerances stay in spec better. It is probably more true of cast iron blocks than aluminum, but proabably applies to both. Sounds like this gives the advantages of both a 'seasoned' block and fresh cylinder bore surfaces.

Like 440 Magnum said, a seasoned block can be actually better than a new one. Good idea, but savings need to be passed on to the consumer. Savings were not passed on with all the foreign parts used nowdays.

If engine cores actually become worth something aside from the $20 per ton they get now because of Ford that would be newsworthy. As it stands, metal is so cheap that nobody will care until Al Gore 2.0 thinks up his next scam.

Actually the hot "no pun intended' Machine shops heat the block then machine them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back