How much weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: supton
I actually consider my 4x4 truck to be my worst snow vehicle I've owned. I'm kinda/sorta going back to all seasons on my cars, but for the truck I felt "forced" to get it snow tires. Much better than adding ballast, although I might still add some for winter.

An AWD sedan with snow tires will run circles around a pickup on most winter roads, the only advantage the truck has is ground clearance.

Yes, I know that now. Then again, I won't pay for AWD either, so I won't ever fully realize it.

My brother in law used to work for a concrete contractor. he had a big pad poured,plenty of rebar inside, with a couple rebar loops sticking out for handles. maybe 3'by 3', not sure how thick, but i remember it was heavy enough he had to use the forks on his bobcat to load it in the bed of whatever truck he had at the time(almost always 2wd.)

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
6x60 = 360lbs = weight of 1 fat chick. Hmm. I'd say it's enough.

LOL!

Living in an area with moderate-severe snow and extreme cold:

My last vehicle was a 2008 Tacoma V6 4x4. I had four 60 lb. sandbags positioned over the rear axle in a frame that I built with pressure treated 2x6 boards to keep them from sliding around. 360 lbs. in your truck is sufficient.

That being said, the way to deal with winter driving in a truck is a combination of factors. Good tires and extra weight in the bed are okay by themselves, but best in combination.

The truck came with BF Goodrich Rugged Trail tires. These were horrible on all surfaces other than dry pavement. The worst tires I've ever owned.

At 20k miles, I swapped them out for BFG T/A KO all-terrains. Combined with the weight, my truck was now a very capable winter commuter. At 70k, I installed Cooper AT3 tires, also all-terrains. They were just as good. My little Subaru has all-terrains on it too; General Grabber AT2s. No weather had stopped it yet!

So, yeah. Both tires and weight are important when dealing with a truck that's unloaded and light in the rear end.

Some trucks are so good in the snow you don't need to even touch 4WD most of the time. (4-Hi)

If the vehicle is naturally heavy.. helps, too. As long as speed is not too high. "Road-hugging weight" I believe I have heard before.

Also, to let air out of tires. Vs. Sandbags or what have you. Can help.

We also assume the 4WD works or engages..

Have always put some weight in the back of my 4WD trucks. Less than I put in my 2WD truck, but I still put it in. The rear end is awfully light without it, and that can be a liability on unexpected slippery surfaces. The weight helps with that. I run with 150lbs in my truck. Used to do 300 lbs in the 2wd truck, found it was overkill in the 4WD truck.

I used to use all-season / all terrain tires, but have switched to snow tires. Thoroughly enjoy driving my truck in the winter now...

Rear end is awful light and fishtails badly on snow/ice. The truck has brand new Firestone Transforce HTs all around. The 4WD uses a lever to shift inti 4x4. No push button, no AWD option.

I add 2 50lb sand bags in the back of our FWD Rav4 to keep the rear suspension loaded just a little bit. It makes a big difference in cornering in the snow because all of the weight is up front.

Firestone Destination LE2 tires help too.

Last edited:

Had I known that, I would have saved on the sand bags and asked the wife to crawl in back!

Originally Posted By: otis24

Had I known that, I would have saved on the sand bags and asked the wife to crawl in back!

Most people typically use the mother-inlaw for that purpose.

I was about 200 Lbs in HS, in the winter dad would move the bench Seat in his Aerostar from the Middle to the rear(over the rear axle) put a couple of cinderblocks under the seat, and have me sit back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back