2000 BMW 328I

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sons neighbor has a clean 2000 BMW 328i with 113,000 miles. New Michelin defenders and new front brakes including new rotors. It runs and drives great and is immaculate, inside and out. White w cream leather interior. Can anybody tell me about the reliability of the 3 series with an automatic and I6 engine. I know they're expensive if something breaks but I am tempted and it sure is a good looking car. He's asking $6,500 for it and seems to be pretty firm on the price.

37.gif

He's asking way too much.

Run!

that is very much on the high side on a E46. Only ones that should be able to pull in that type of money are 330 ZHP and beat down m3's

e46 are prone to oil leaking VANOS. Plastic cooling system parts that takes dumps every 100k. They are easy to work on but just a little more likely to need repairs. I dont own but worked on them and I see a lot of oil leaks under in the driver side part of the engine bay were the VANOS and throttle body stuff is. I've see a many lower control arms needing replacements. And lastly just water pumps just breaking.

Not a bad car but dont waste your time with $6500. If you want something like it get the IS300 or G35 both are in the $6500 range and need less work.

Reliability in this case will be in direct proportion to what maintenance has been done to date. Do not confuse maintenance with repairs. Rear diff and transmission oil changes for one thing, tune up, coolant and brake fluid flush, accessory belts, fuel filter, brake pads & rotors, etc. With the current mileage this car should have had each done at least once by now and many would be due or past due for a second look. Can this owner produce a file of maintenance receipts? Previously mentioned items by other members are known points of failure for the E46. I would say 100k is on the high end of serviceable life for this cooling system with 60-75k being more the norm. Check other prices in your area and have the car inspected by a local independent BMW shop. If this car is well sorted and the suspension is in good shape it will be a lot of fun to drive. If you buy it purchase a Bentley's manual too. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
He's asking $6,500 for it and seems to be pretty firm on the price.

With a price this high, he doesn't appear to be really wanting to part with the car. You should easily be able to find newer models and/or with fewer miles for this much. Heck, my '02 530i with 93K miles and in great shape is not worth this much.

As another poster mentioned, plan on having a complete cooling system overhaul if it hasn't been done yet. I did mine at 70K. Maintenance records are key.

It seems very high, my cousin recently sold his 330CI coupe with a stick for $6,500. It was a super mint garage queen with around 60k on it, a couple model years newer, never saw rain, M wheels, etc.

I'd be interested in a car like that for $3,500ish.

Last edited:
seen a few trashed abandoned ones in police impound lots if that gives you a barometer on where they stand in general society these days.

Well for $6,500 anyone with any credit will simple lease a new one, 3 series are $399 a month throw aways.

Last edited:
I'm glad I posed this question here. I never realized these cars were this trouble prone/maintenance intensive. It was at the shop I use yesterday and the owner of the shop said it was in for front brake pads and rotors and the bill was over $400.00 using NAPA parts. Since posing the question, I have also learned the e46 models are prone to sub frame problems as well as numerous other quirky problems. I'll let this little seductress roll on down the road. Thanks for all the info.

Originally Posted By: gman2304

and the owner of the shop said it was in for front brake pads and rotors and the bill was over $400.00 using NAPA parts.

Sounds high, especially if not using OEM parts (which btw are not that expensive). The shop must be ripping him off on labor.

But in general, yeah, if you don't DIY, owning/maintaining an older BMW can get pretty expensive.

Too pricey, IMO.

Also, anyone who's ***seriously*** considering a BMW is not really looking for high MPG numbers or A to B kind of car or stellar dependability, I'd assume. Suggesting A Camry / Accord doesn't make much sense, IMO.

The cooling system and the VANOS would be the two things to take care of at that age. Both are easy DIY with plenty of Youtube videos.

If you don't DIY then yes, these can be expensive. But with DIY, a COMPLLETE cooling system overhaul including a new radiator and water pump will cost you about $700 in parts. The VANOS overhaul and valve cover gaskets will be around $300 in parts.

I prefer MB myself. I think you could get a 2007+ E350 with over 100k in the 8-10k range. So a 2000 for $6500 seems pretty high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back