Cooper CS5 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got 55k out of our Cooper CS4's that were on my wifes Nissan Versa. We were very happy with the performance so we put on the CS5's on Black Friday.

The tires have very little noise and the ride is excellent. This will probably be the last set of tires we put on this car as we plan to upgrade her car in July.

I would highly recommend the Cooper CS5 and there are some decent sales going on now at DTD.

You get the Ultra or Grand?

I put a couple Ultra CS5 sets on my In-laws cars, G37 sedan and a Hyundai Elantra. Both have said they are very quiet and so far have worked well.

I have 235/55R17 CS5 Ultras mounted on factory 17x8 wheels on my 2wd Chevy Colorado Crew Cab ZQ8 (the factory lowered handling suspension). I have 10k miles on the tires, and they've been great. I like them better than the BFG Advantage TA I was running before. Quiet, and handle well in the dry and wet. No comment on snow, as I run a dedicated set of 15" wheels and winter tires.

I did not drive on the OEM tires very long because they were horrid, so I have no long term comparison between my CS5 Ultras, and the factory fitments.

What I can say from experience regarding economy, is my MPG's with the CS5 UT have been meeting the Mazda advertised fuel economy numbers, and often surpassing them.

Originally Posted By: josejoseph
Has anyone noticed increase or decrease in mileage after putting Cooper CS5? I'm looking to put the Ultras on my 2011 Honda Odyssey (235/60/18).

It would depend on which model you're installing and what tire you used before.

The T-rated Grand Touring is rated "very good" by Consumer Reports for rolling resistance.

The H-rated Ultra Touring is rated "good."

The V-rated Ultra Touring is rated "fair."

Rolling resistance is one area where the CS5 Ultra Touring lags some of the best-in-class tires, but they're often more money than the CS5.

I have W-rated Ultra Touring 235/45-17 on my 2000 E430 for a bout 2k miles now, the MPG is about the same(+/- 0.5 MPG of 19 MPG average) as previous tires continental DWS and Kumho 4X.

Thank you 3for3, stephen9666 & HTSS_TR for your feedback.

235/60/18 is available only in the Ultra Touring model with V rating. So guess I don't need to keep any expectations on the mileage part. 90% of my driving is within the city and average mileage I get from Odyssey is 16 mpg running on Michelin MXV4 factory OEM tires.

Ive had the CS5 Grand Touring on my Fiat 500e (electric) for about 500 miles now.

Very very smooth ride, super quiet. Better than the CS3s we put on the wifes accord several years back. The CS3s so far have about 20k miles, tire tread is at 8/32" so should hopefully hit the 50k mark. I was very happy with the CS3s, so I'm pretty sure the CS5s will only be better.

Time will tell how they feel, wear, and sound after another 10k+ miles. Tire reviews are always hard to give without serious mileage.

The DTD sale + manufacturer rebates gave a total net cost of $118 shipped for all four. Incredible.

Originally Posted By: josejoseph
Has anyone noticed increase or decrease in mileage after putting Cooper CS5? I'm looking to put the Ultras on my 2011 Honda Odyssey (235/60/18).

I now have 5100 miles on a new set of CS5 Ultra 195/60R15 88H. Gas mileage was off maybe 1-2% vs the old Uniroyal Tiger Paws.

Again, the Tiger Paws had quite a few miles on them and I think were even T-rated. So I think the H-rated CS5 are not bad at all for mileage. I average about 31 mpg and am down maybe 0.5 mpg on average. Probably less. If you are getting less than 20 I doubt you would even notice.

Originally Posted By: zeddy
Ive had the CS5 Grand Touring on my Fiat 500e (electric) for about 500 miles now.

Very very smooth ride, super quiet. Better than the CS3s we put on the wifes accord several years back. The CS3s so far have about 20k miles, tire tread is at 8/32" so should hopefully hit the 50k mark. I was very happy with the CS3s, so I'm pretty sure the CS5s will only be better.

Time will tell how they feel, wear, and sound after another 10k+ miles. Tire reviews are always hard to give without serious mileage.

The DTD sale + manufacturer rebates gave a total net cost of $118 shipped for all four. Incredible.

The CS3 hit the market in the summer of 2013. You couldn't have put CS3's on "several years back".

My wife had the CS3's on her car (that's what we replaced with cs5's) and we only got about 39k out of that set of tires and rode them all the way down to 4/32. I'm hoping these are just as good.

We just had our first ice storm and they did as well as expected. We felt safe and the ride wasn't bad at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Expect an initial drop with new tires compared to tires with little tread.

I wonder if that's because the tread is taller and you're actually covering a few more miles per tankful with new tires (than what the odometer is indicating). Therefore, the odometer isn't racking up as many actual miles as the low tread tires were turning more rpms and racking up more miles. For example, I used my GPS all the time when driving my dedicated road tractor, and when I got new tires, my actual speed picked up 1 mile per hour, maybe a little more. The truck was governed at 65 mph, and with new tires the speedo showed 65 rather than 64.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12

I wonder if that's because the tread is taller and you're actually covering a few more miles per tankful with new tires (than what the odometer is indicating). Therefore, the odometer isn't racking up as many actual miles as the low tread tires were turning more rpms and racking up more miles. For example, I used my GPS all the time when driving my dedicated road tractor, and when I got new tires, my actual speed picked up 1 mile per hour, maybe a little more. The truck was governed at 65 mph, and with new tires the speedo showed 65 rather than 64.

Exactly.

How do you use GPS to check speed ? I have a Samsung smart phone for few months, I would like to check the actual speed of my cars if it is easy to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12

I wonder if that's because the tread is taller and you're actually covering a few more miles per tankful with new tires (than what the odometer is indicating).

Do you mean fewer miles per unit of fuel burned? That would indicate poorer fuel mileage -- fewer miles traveled per gallon.

New tires inherently have more rolling resistance than old tires as well. The tread is deeper, so there's more tread squirm (wasted motion, wasted energy) and more mass to get moving from a stop. This is one reason economy hybrids like the Prius have super light weight wheels (lighter than a similar-sized alloy from a Corolla, for example). Less rotating mass is more efficient.

I had a 225 60 16 Cooper CS3 (read: not the CS5) and it indeed was quiet but the size recommended for my wheel and car is 225-55-16 and the shop I got it from installed the 225-60-16 when I specifically asked for the same size all around. I didn't mind cause I wasn't ready for 4 tires and these were well designed tire and figured I would buy 4 new soon since other tires were well worn. Well it ran low just once and before I could get to an air station with the proper amount of coins to air 40 pounds of air, the CS3 just ripped to shreds almost immediately. I bought it used but just be careful to always have air in this tire and don't run it low on air, not even once. It's like the opposite of a run-flat tire!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: zeddy

The CS3 hit the market in the summer of 2013. You couldn't have put CS3's on "several years back".

You are correct. I just checked -invoice from September 2012 was for the Cooper cs4, not cs3.

Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
I had a 225 60 16 Cooper CS3 (read: not the CS5) and it indeed was quiet but the size recommended for my wheel and car is 225-55-16 and the shop I got it from installed the 225-60-16 when I specifically asked for the same size all around. I didn't mind cause I wasn't ready for 4 tires and these were well designed tire and figured I would buy 4 new soon since other tires were well worn. Well it ran low just once and before I could get to an air station with the proper amount of coins to air 40 pounds of air, the CS3 just ripped to shreds almost immediately. I bought it used but just be careful to always have air in this tire and don't run it low on air, not even once. It's like the opposite of a run-flat tire!

I bought a couple cheap portable air compressors on clearance from Home Depot a couple years ago for $4/ea. It plugs into cigarette lighter and works very well, it adds about 2-3 PSI per minute.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6

I bought a couple cheap portable air compressors on clearance from Home Depot a couple years ago for $4/ea. It plugs into cigarette lighter and works very well, it adds about 2-3 PSI per minute.

Could the fact that the wheel is expecting a 225-55-16 and had a 225-60-16 cause the tire to come apart from the wheel so quickly? me likey the home creepo option!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back