Headaches, Aches, Pain's, and New (IL) Lubricants

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Well, I gave the last tests, finished grading tests, and now finishing up my Sillybus
smile.gif
for next semester.

Anyway, academic and industry Research and Development (R&D) have been working on new additive components and base oils for future lubricants.

Much emphasis has been placed on developing lubricants that do not contain heavy metals nor last very long in the environment. In other words, we would prefer additive components that would decay relatively quickly in the environment, I.E., have short half-lives.

However, these additive components must also protect the machines in which they are employed and this is where IL's have shown efficacy.

Do searches for:

"A Review of Ionic Liquid Lubricants," Lubricants 2013, 1, 3-21 for a good review and,

"Ionic Liquids as Advanced Lubricant Fluids," Molecules 2009, 14, 2888-2908.

Very recently, 2-isobutylphenol propionic acid has been reacted with various X-Y-3-methylimadazolium's to create an Ionic Liquid lubricant with excellent characteristic's (An Upcoming BITOG White Paper).

What is the common name for 2-isobutylphenol propionic acid?

I would ask our BITOG chemists and engineers to " sit this one out" , and let our newer members do their own research and answer this question.

Guidelines for the Question of the Day:

1. No Piston Cup Lapel Pin will be awarded to the same person within 14 days of a previous award.

2. Please respond with a complete sentence or explanation.

3. Please do not post links. If a question arises as to the need for clarification, then sources and links may be requested.

4. Please, no off topic posts.

Last edited:
The common name is ibuprofen.

Incidentally, I've also seen it spelled 2-isobutylphenyl propionic acid more often than not.

Well given the correct answer is already here by someone who works in a pharmaceutical capacity
smile.gif
or close to that... Often times the trade name is a varaint of the chemical one. In this line of thinking then ibuprofen becomes rather clear quickly.
A quick side note... Ibuprofen and Aleve have the EXACT same chemical makeup. The only difference is how the atoms are structured. Which is why I cannot tolerate Aleve. My stomach hurts very very badly from it, while I can take ibuprofen easily. Thanks molacule for this though. I am grateful you are on here because how much great knowledge and insights you add. Rock on !

yup,

reminded me of when i learned about acetylsalicylic acid in high school chemistry, a long long time ago.

thanks molaKule

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Padawan
The common name is ibuprofen.

Incidentally, I've also seen it spelled 2-isobutylphenyl propionic acid more often than not.

Thanks for your responses.

In the pharmacopoeia literature it is designated as:

[2-(4-isobutylphenyl)propionic acid].

It is considered an NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug), and has been shown to delay Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.

It was discovered and developed by British chemist Stewart Adams and tested personally by him to cure hangovers.
shocked2.gif

Padawan now receives the coveted Piston Cup Lapel Pin to proudly display at all of the upcoming office parties.
happy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
So, how many 200 mg tablets per quart of engine oil is the proper dose? (lol)

Put one in and call me in the morning.
grin2.gif

Well, Dr. MolaKule, will it stop the noise (voices) in my head(s) and relieve the aching in my wrist pins caused by working for a living and keep my rods from knocking when I get up in the morning? I know that for every problem I have, there's a pill that will fix it. This could be the pill for my engine.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Thanks for your responses.

In the pharmacopoeia literature it is designated as:

[2-(4-isobutylphenyl)propionic acid].

BTW, Ibuprofen is actually sodium-[2-(4-isobutylphenyl)propionic acid], the sodium component being a sodium salt for adjusting pH and for better absorption.

Last edited:

3200mg max in 24hrs.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

3200mg max in 24hrs.

2400mg in 24 hrs. 3200 and you are asking for trouble.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well given the correct answer is already here by someone who works in a pharmaceutical capacity
smile.gif
or close to that... Often times the trade name is a varaint of the chemical one. In this line of thinking then ibuprofen becomes rather clear quickly.
A quick side note... Ibuprofen and Aleve have the EXACT same chemical makeup. The only difference is how the atoms are structured. Which is why I cannot tolerate Aleve. My stomach hurts very very badly from it, while I can take ibuprofen easily. Thanks molacule for this though. I am grateful you are on here because how much great knowledge and insights you add. Rock on !

I can tolerate both fairly well but I usually take Aleve (Naprosin) because it lasts for 12 hours rather than 4.....why does it last longer?

Is Naprosin hard on the liver like Tylenol?....I avoid taking these type pills after drinking alcohol for this reason....am I being overly cautious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back