topped off with PZ 10-30 conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, gals and PALS,

I am currently embarked on a 7k-ish OCI and have Valvoline full synthetic 5w-30 in it now. Not sure how far into this OCI I am about 5-6k in now and had checked the dipstick and saw it about < .5 quart. I topped it off along with Pennzoil 10-30 conventional and used the requiste < .5, I would say .3.

Quick Question: Did I do good with this maintenance moment? Should I have strictly used the Valvoline 5w-30 or would this 10-30 compensate adequately?

Seat of the pant feel was outstanding as I feel less hot air blowing to mah feet.

The Valvoline is a high sodium, negligible boron/moly oil. The Pennzoil has lots of born and moly....no sodium. So you'll end up with about a 6-7% dose of Bo/Mo in the Synpower. For an end of OCI run it should have minimal effects....though we don't really know. I did the same thing on my last OCI as I had VWB in my car and needed one quart to complete the fill. The only thing I had around was Formula Shell, with a similar makeup to PYB. But that oil only has 5 months and 2K miles on it and will be getting changed before end of December. Also has a Pure 1 oil filter that I would like to remove as well.

The NAPA synthetic is almost the same stuff. I would have stocked up on a couple quarts on sale back in October for $3.49 ea.

I think I might try the Quaker state Ultimate durability 5w-20 based off of this and also high availability(small factor):

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

5W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved, synthetic (gold bottle) = 121,396 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested Fall 2015, and it produced the highest psi value seen in my testing from any oil just as it comes right out of the bottle with no aftermarket additives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
I think I might try the Quaker state Ultimate durability 5w-20 based off of this and also high availability(small factor):

5W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved, synthetic (gold bottle) = 121,396 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested Fall 2015, and it produced the highest psi value seen in my testing from any oil just as it comes right out of the bottle with no aftermarket additives.

OK, what is the car, engine, and recommended viscosity...

i.e. why is 5W30 in it now, or why are you considering 5W20.

Is it a 5W20 engine you've been running 30 in, or a 5W30 engine that you are going to run 5W20 in because it scored well on the Rat test ?

(The Rat test that has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with the operation of your engine) ?

For reference...

The Wear Protection reference categories are:

• Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection

• 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection

• 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection

• 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection

• Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

I really like this oil....

0W20 Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy, API SN synthetic = 96,364 psi
zinc = 742 ppm
phos = 677 ppm
moly = 81 ppm

Outstanding wear protection combined with excellent cold flow. Best of both worlds. It scored higher than many oils which were MUCH thicker.

Last edited:
Really.

For reference...

zinc = 742 ppm
phos = 677 ppm
moly = 81 ppm

Outstanding wear protection combined with excellent cold flow. Best of both worlds. It scored higher than many oils which were MUCH thicker.

zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD

This looks like a standalone addition to the list from 2013. Logically, it makes ZERO sense that this 5w-20 QSUD would rank so high. The top 3 dozen oils on that list are nearly all 30 grade oils, not 20 grade. Pennzoil PUP and PP are certainly very similar to QSUD and likely a bit better designed. It makes no sense most of those rank way below this #3 ranked QSUD. And the Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, Valvoline Synpower synthetics in the 20 grade are way down the list too. How does QSUD 5w-20 not achieve the same lowly fate? What's special about it that makes it superior to its Pennzoil sisters? It's completely illogical...suggesting the test is seriously flawed....or that the big oil mixers have no clue what they're doing. If the test showed some consistency maybe I could buy it. The only other QS products (30 grades) are ranked 58 and 132....another huge inconsistency.

For reference...

Six significant figures of a meaningless test is still meaningless. It's a good thing that qualifiers like incredible and outstanding and so forth are used, since they're just as scientific.

dudeZ, what do I care (and I do that's why I Am here), I use 5w30 Valvoline "top shelf" FULLY (borrowed verbage from Mobil scripture) synthetic. My days of using 20 weight are long gone. My car is MY 1995 so need every layer of robustness and protection I can! (My search for outstanding oil will not cease and I am not the least bit deterred!)

Also, since Valvoline 5w-30 "fully bully" has majority Sodium and little moly and the PZ 10-30 conventional has more moly and little Sodium, I hit a lubricant homerun and molecule nirvana and furthermore, it has really quieted the engine which was my goal, regardless of where I am in my OCI! Love refreshing additives not to mention VISCOSITY. as we were, gents..!

Last edited:
For reference...

zinc = 742 ppm
phos = 677 ppm
moly = 81 ppm

The cold flow is especially noticeable at below 0*f.

What if the car does work and toils in the heat and humidity of SE texas 8 out of 12 months. Would that 0 degree F cold flow property still be useful due with startup wear with a cold engine since a majority of wear occurs when engine is cold and getting up to optimal temperature?

Last edited:
Look at those three oils, and there will be ABSOLUTELY no difference in engine life due to viscosity in texas.

An SAE 30, with no reportable cold flow testing would probably do just as well all other things being equal.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Look at those three oils, and there will be ABSOLUTELY no difference in engine life due to viscosity in texas.

An SAE 30, with no reportable cold flow testing would probably do just as well all other things being equal.

it's a lexus "supra" engine (NA) so I am not too terribly worried about engine life as long as I manage the oil like a champion supervisor. It's all about reducing wear and managing the OCI throughout the OCI's life from beginning and especially the end when you get to the "Top Off" stage! Since I used the Valvoline full syn, that full synthetic keeps a film between starts so that in itself will reduce or mitigate the startup wear that everyone seems concerned about. That concern is true and apparent whether you live in a cold climate that gets snow and/or ice or hardly ever like myself in SE tex-us. The viscosity thing also plays a large role at operating temp where both the full syn and the 10-30 pennzoil yellow bottle will help as it will replenish the 5w-30 that may have sheared to a 0w-20 this late in the OCI! It's all about engine wear and viscosity or sheering of viscosity happens as well as the depletion of additives, not only for the life of the OCI but also year around!

Topping off oil TIP: if your original fill oil favors certain additives like Sodium or Moly for examples, it is good to use inverseo r opposite proportions of that to top off oil so in my example, the Valvoline full syn 5w-30 uses more Sodium as the prev. poster said and less moly and the PYB 10-30 has more Moly and less Sodium so a good complementary mixture. The engine is super quiet for not even having an entirely fresh oil in it like when you get an oil change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
but full synthetic keeps a film between starts

Not true whatsoever. Probably the biggest oil myth out there.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
but full synthetic keeps a film between starts

Not true whatsoever. Probably the biggest oil myth out there.

Then what is the benefit of synthetic oil? It is simply a more robust additive package for longer OCIs to the exclusion of everything else? If that is the case, PYB 10-30 or 5w-30 etc. conventional is all we need for 3-5k OCIs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back