Timeshares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attorneys make a good living getting people out of these "deals".

I'd follow a previous members advice, stay at a motel/hotel. Just pick your time and place and pay the tab and be done with it.

I think timeshare means if you have the time, they'll share your bank account.

Timeshares are not investments. They never have been investments. I had a business associate buy a "cheap timeshare" in not that great of a location for pennies on the dollar in California. He never stay there. Instead, he "traded" the time with Europeans. So he stay in very beautiful locations in Europe for the price of his "cheap" timeshare.

That's how a time share works for you and can be a great deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I only know one person who has been satisfied with his timeshare purchase. On the other hand, I've heard a lot of horror stories from people who got swindled, who couldn't swap properties like they expected and who couldn't sell them when they wanted out from under.

And as an investment, they may be appropriate if you like losing money. Like someone else posted, run away.

I agree no way is it an investment. The two people I know who love theirs, as I mentioned, have no kids. I suspect that opens the possibilities for dates and times that they can go, because they end up all over the world with it. Ive never asked the cost though...

The properties can be nice... IMO the smart money is in staying at these places at very low rates, cheaper than hotels actually, for a week. I know another guy who has found multi-bedroom timeshares that he rents by the week only, for week.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I only know one person who has been satisfied with his timeshare purchase. On the other hand, I've heard a lot of horror stories from people who got swindled, who couldn't swap properties like they expected and who couldn't sell them when they wanted out from under.

And as an investment, they may be appropriate if you like losing money. Like someone else posted, run away.

I agree no way is it an investment. The two people I know who love theirs, as I mentioned, have no kids. I suspect that opens the possibilities for dates and times that they can go, because they end up all over the world with it. Ive never asked the cost though...

The properties can be nice... IMO the smart money is in staying at these places at very low rates, cheaper than hotels actually, for a week. I know another guy who has found multi-bedroom timeshares that he rents by the week only, for week.

Travelling is a happy time for most. Timeshares are a package of happiness for certain succinct set of folks who like commitments and have flexibility.

Its a pyramid scheme where the happy folks who have the certain/narrow criteria enjoy it while the majority of unhappy folks committed to paying for something that is hard or difficult to use suffer and pay for the others.

How can something they pay you in some form to sit/suffer through a presentation mean its a good deal. What other thing in life do they pay you like that to sell?

I know someone who is about to inherit a timeshare that they don't want. So even in death, you can't get rid of it (sometimes).

It's on Ocean City, MD, and quite frankly, they kind of hate going there each year now.

As much as I love to go to Atlantic City, I'd never even consider a timeshare there because sometimes I like to stay a Bally's, sometimes Caesars, sometimes The Tropicana, sometimes Resorts, sometimes The Taj....

I really like mine. My aunt gave it to me. I used to live in PA. My aunt still does, she was getting old, didn't want to travel, so I took it and had it deeded to me. maintenance fees are about $512 a year. The resort is right by Disney and its nice. I can trade it out for anywhere else in the United States for $129. Seriously where you going t get a condo (they are fully furnished, all you buy is groceries) on Lake Tahoe for 7 days for $621. If I go to Disney, its just the maint. fee. Try to stay at a condo at Disney for $512 for 7 days. I just bought another in Daytona Beach. I am 5 miles away, I can go over anytime and use the facilities. I bought it on Ebay for $200 and its maint, fee is $484 a year. I can rent it to relative's for more than that. Thats 7 day weeks. The internet has made timeshares obsolete, before the net with Priceline, Expedia Etc.. They would have been better. Kids are grown and we are back to dating, so I like them.

The best deal in timeshares is for the investors of the facility.

If there was really a place that I'd like to return to every year, I'd buy something and have a property management company rent it out for me.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
If there was really a place that I'd like to return to every year, I'd buy something and have a property management company rent it out for me.

That's what my dad did with a condo in Breckenridge. If you happen to be in an area with good property appreciation it can be a money making investment in the long run.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

That's what my dad did with a condo in Breckenridge. If you happen to be in an area with good property appreciation it can be a money making investment in the long run.

That was a fine choice. Property is at a premium there, and many other places in Colorado.

That was a fine choice. Property is at a premium there, and many other places in Colorado.

Sometimes it's just as much luck as choice. They kept the condo for a few years and bought a lot to build a house. When the subdivision decided to require that the houses be a minimum of 5,000 sf they sold both the condo and the lot and made enough to buy an existing, smaller house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back