Engines with legendary reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to get other's opinion on what some of the most reliable engines ever made. I'm talking about engines that if you changed the oil and didn't let them overheat, they would far outlast the vehicle they were put in. Here are some of my choices.

Chevrolet 350
Pontiac 2.5L Tech 4 "Iron Duke"
Ford 300CID I-6
Chrysler Slant 6
Toyota R series (22R)
Nissan QR

Let's hear what others think.

Cummins 5.9L 12-valve I6. When they first started putting this engine in pickup trucks (before Dodge started mass-producing them), they would run 300,000 miles delivering RV's around the country, then take the engine out, put it in a new truck, and start the cycle over again.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Cummins 5.9L 12-valve I6. When they first started putting this engine in pickup trucks (before Dodge started mass-producing them), they would run 300,000 miles delivering RV's around the country, then take the engine out, put it in a new truck, and start the cycle over again.

How much worse was the 24V, (if you replaced the lift pump).

Mercedes OM 616 and OM 617 Diesels. A 616 went 902,000 miles
before the crankshaft snapped.
(2.4 liter and 3.0 liter 4/5 cylinder Diesels).
65/90 HP, although the 617.95 turbos were 120/122 HP.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

How much worse was the 24V, (if you replaced the lift pump).

Lift pumps, VP44 injection pumps, and 53 blocks hurt the reputation of the 24-valve. I had to replace two of the OE Carter lift pumps on mine before creating my own fuel supply system using a Holley Blue electric pump mounted close to the fuel tank. My VP44 died at 199k miles, the result of the internal circuit board frying. Fortunately, I had heard of the 53 block problem before buying mine, so I avoided that one by getting the right model year. In the 230k miles I have owned my truck, I have adjusted the valves once. They didn't need it. It has a chronic problem with a leaking rear main seal, which requires heavy work to fix.

Don't forget the Toyota 2UZ-FE 4.7 V8. One reason I chose my 4Runner was because of that engines' reliability.

We use 2 of them in a hobby mining operation where they are run at full load at 3,600 rpm for 8 to 10 hours at a time with only a larger oil sump and radiator. We have been running one engine for over 8 years. It was put into service at about 65K on the odometer from a wrecked pickup and now has over 5,000 hours on the Hobbs meter with nothing but routine maintenance, synthetic oil (Red Line), Toyota pink coolant and runs on CNG.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Don't forget the Toyota 2UZ-FE 4.7 V8. One reason I chose my 4Runner was because of that engines' reliability.

We use 2 of them in a hobby mining operation where they are run at full load at 3,600 rpm for 8 to 10 hours at a time with only a larger oil sump and radiator. We have been running one engine for over 8 years. It was put into service at about 65K on the odometer from a wrecked pickup and now has over 5,000 hours on the Hobbs meter with nothing but routine maintenance, synthetic oil (Red Line), Toyota pink coolant and runs on CNG.

The 1UZ is quite legendary as well. It's one of the few automotive engines that's been used in small airplanes.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

4-runner or LAND CRUISER on the Yota V-8? ..

I was gonna say Nissan 3.0L V6.

You also can't kill late 80s to mid or late (?) 90s Toyota and Nissan small cars. Corolla, Sentra.

Last edited:
The Honda 1.5L Fit engine design has been adapted for aircraft use as the Viking 130.

http://www.zenith.aero/forum/topics/the-viking-honda-is-for-real

And Honda itself versions many of its on-road engines as outboards, which speaks for their general strength under sustained high load conditions.

BF75 through BF100 share designs with the 1.5L from the Fit.
BF115 through BF150 are cousins to the 2.4L K-series 4-cyl.
BF200 and BF225 are the J-series 3.5L V-6 engines.
BF250 is a J35 punched to 3.6L.

Interesting to see the many uses of some of these common engines.

If you wanted something you could truly beat on and only keep the oil full, I think I'd pick the Ford 300 or Chrysler Slant-Six.

Lots posted here will be the same for a lot of people..
I really like a lot of the 90's Nissan products, and have owned a few VQ's myself.

Nissan VQ30, SR, VG
Honda B,D,K series

The Ford Lima 2.3 was a very good engine....so were the Dodge 318 V8 and the Buick 3.8 V6.

Came here to make sure the Ford 300 I6 was here... Noticed it was in first post. Now leaving satisfied.

Several Fords I have owned.
6 cyl 250 in a 69 Ford Fairlane

4.6 Ina 96 Merc GM

Both engines I now have. 2.0 and 2.3 Duratech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back