why do mechanics always make me use the slowest me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked at a place that repaired pumps and occasionally I'd help out in the shop. Well the mechanic was kind of a do it his way or not at all kind of guy. So he would have me take apart a pump with 9/16" open end box end wrench. They always complained how I was too slow. Meanwhile he uses an impact wrench or air ratchet to take the pumps apart. If they won't let me use air tools at least let me use a regular ratchet. I've noticed this quite frequently and it's not just me. I guess the slowest method is also the least likely to mess something up. Maybe that's their thinking? I always use a ratchet and only use a wrench if I need to hold a bolt still while I loosen. For some reason this guy never used a ratchet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like your boss didn't want you to be faster than he was, and made sure of that by denying you use of faster tools. Pecking order intact, boss happy.

3/10 on the 'rant meter'.
wink.gif

Using power tools lets you make mistakes faster.

The other day I needed to remove a caliper bolt, and didn't want to get a hammer to whack the wrench. But the impact gun was right next to me, and I had the right size socket... Worked fine on three bolts, but the shock was in the way of the fourth. But it was really close to fitting! Sure enough, not close enough, and I rounded the bolt.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Buy your own air tools

+1.

If you can afford an '07 Dodge diesel, you can definitely afford your own tools.

I find it ironic they give you slow tools and complain how slow you are. Doesn't your boss know what he wants? That would drive me insane. How many times have you whacked your knuckles trying to get a tight nut or bolt loose because he would not give you the correct tools but yet be a hypocrite and make you do it faster? If I was in your shoes I would have left that place to find a place with some more sanity.

Originally Posted By: Chuckh
I find it ironic they give you slow tools and complain how slow you are. Doesn't your boss know what he wants? That would drive me insane. How many times have you whacked your knuckles trying to get a tight nut or bolt loose because he would not give you the correct tools but yet be a hypocrite and make you do it faster? If I was in your shoes I would have left that place to find a place with some more sanity.

I did leave. lol Also they were company tools, nobody had their own personal tools. It drives me nuts when somebody wants me to loosen up bolts with a box end wrench cause then you have to hit the wrench with your hand to get them to break loose, whereas you don't have to with a regular ratchet. You can loosen them all up then take the ratchet off and just use the socket and your hand. Quickest way I know without using air tools.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Buy your own air tools

+1.

If you can afford an '07 Dodge diesel, you can definitely afford your own tools.

They were company tools and they actually had a good amount of tools.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I agree with lub saurus.

Dont work too fast or youll get exiled to a new department. Lol.

I always get stuck having to do my job along with about 3 other jobs whenever I work for somebody. I think that's just corporate America though. Companies expect more for less these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back