will weight help my pickup in the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you have hills the extra weight will bum you out.
his cummins wont even notice 500lbs

I'm thinking more about gravity! While you want weight to dig down to pavement, too much will either hold you back or push you down! This is why Vermont is Subaru country.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
put a locker in the rear, studded snows and use the 4x4 you have during the storm.

locker is not good. super easy to break the rear traction and spin around.. Great offroad.. but not onroad.

Can also cause terrible "plowing" through turns as well.

Although they are now available where the outside will will over-run its not a sure thing if you step on the gas at all.
Maybe an Elocker or something you can turn on or off.

Even a posi-traction device can be bad.

Yes you wont lose momentum and have 1 wheel peel, but if both wheels spin you back is possibly out of control much easier.

if anyone here is familiar with The Dalles Oregon its a town terraced onto the hills up off the banks of the columbia.. its all steep hill and it snows there. i had an old '71 f-250 2wd i'd drop 1200 lbs in the bed and with decent a/t tires i could climb any hill i wanted/needed.

Last edited:
If it has a posi or some sort of limited slip out back it might be OK in the winter. If it doesn't it will suck, good luck.

put a locker in the rear, studded snows and use the 4x4 you have during the storm.

A locker is not an inexpensive investment!!

Only if you have a dashcam and you're willing to make a YouTube compilation of your adventures with a locker on icy roads
36.gif

My volvo 940 turbo wagon had a locker, standard, and I got it sideways on some frost. It was before the first snow and the roads didn't have the sheen of salt they usually always do.

It was like a giant cat swatted the rear of my car sideways. Totally controlled then very nearly not. Was crazy seeing mailboxes going by sideways through my windshield.

That said with proper winter tires I never got stuck and in fact saw a car spin into the ditch in front of me/ it.

I'd put at least 500 pounds back there.

Do you have an ATV or something like that? Throw it in the back, it might fit with your topper and it'll keep the snow off of it.

I have not owned a 4x4 in a lot of years now. Haven't gotten stuck yet, although I do confess to throwing a shovel in the back of the old Dakota. I have a pair of Hankook I-pike snow tires and 600 lbs. in sand bags ready to go. The last 2 winters here in West Michigan were tough. So far this winter has been pretty mild. It works for me. Can't see spending the premium price for a 4x4 when I would only use it a few times per year.

+1 this...locker, good snow tires and 200lbs of sand and don't expect to climb Pikes Peak

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HM12460
I have not owned a 4x4 in a lot of years now. Haven't gotten stuck yet, although I do confess to throwing a shovel in the back of the old Dakota. I have a pair of Hankook I-pike snow tires and 600 lbs. in sand bags ready to go. The last 2 winters here in West Michigan were tough. So far this winter has been pretty mild. It works for me. Can't see spending the premium price for a 4x4 when I would only use it a few times per year.

No one carries a shovel anymore haha. Then they get stuck in stuff that isn't that bad in their AWD Rav4 on bald tires.

I carry a shovel in each vehicle. It has come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back