Mixing oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shannow, I've tried to be polite about this, but I see you have the bit in your teeth with regard to the word "law."

In a nutshell, the heads of federal agencies have by statute legal authority to promulgate administrative rules and regulations pertaining to their departments. It's how our government functions. Virtually everything in your everyday life is governed by federal rules and regulations. This is a basic concept of administrative law. And lawfully promulgated federal regulations are also "law" regardless of whether you are ready to accept them as such. This, I assume, is why you refuse to accept the fact that the federal government's requirement the oil industry promulgate PSDs and related documents are also "legal" requirements. You regard them as fiction. I don't. They were born as a result of extensive agency negotiations. I point to them as evidence of compatibility, and you choose to ignore them as meaningless. I also referred you to various companies' websites regarding this issue, and you choose to ignore them as well. Clearly, sir, at this juncture we are talking past each other, and I think you are being unreasonable.

Okay, well, what bureaucratic regulations have done this? It seems that in North America, neither country can modify the fuel oxygenate in the slightest without a supermajority of Congress in your case or a blessing from the Queen in ours and intense lobbying by automakers and oil companies, up to and including full page newspaper ads, yet some contend that we have oil formulations laid out by regulatory authorities. I've seen not one piece of evidence in that regard - not one shred.

Garak, you've asked for an example. Moly. It's come out of most (not all) oils as a consequence of agency negotiations and federal regulation.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
To the OP, there are two things that oil has to do. One is lubricate. The other is cool.

Something like 40% of engine cooling is heat transfer via oil to metal surfaces cooled by water or air.

What's funny is that a LOT of that heat is generated in the oil by friction.

Common belief is that it's all heat transfer from combustion. But it's actual shaft rotation and power shearing the oil that's making the heat in places like main bearings and piston skirts..

If that was the true, engine oil in the sump wouldnt take half an hour to heat it up, since endofriction is all over the place and as being so important. It takes half an hour because the combustion spend 10 minutes heating the head and the block even with the thermostats closed. Easy to prove that oil friction itself is less considerable than you think. Take a car and push down hill only by engine break for half an hour and lets see if the oil get at operational temperature, like 200F...

Originally Posted By: Hounds
Garak, you've asked for an example. Moly. It's come out of most (not all) oils as a consequence of agency negotiations and federal regulation.

Okay, to clarify myself, obviously, certain compounds can't be used in oils in the first place, thanks to federal regulation, not that they'd be used anyhow. I'd assume one would have a regulatory nightmare trying to use asbestos or PCBs as additives.

What is the rule on moly? Do note that we have some very high moly oils on the market, both certified and uncertified, including some very high profile oils all the way from PYB to Red Line, not to mention moly additives. There are very good reasons for a formulator to use moly in an oil, and there are also very good reasons for a formulator to forego moly altogether.

All this when all HONDA2003 wanted was a yes or no, to can I add a quart of Valvoline to Mobil as a top off.

YES HE CAN. End of discussion? Ed:))

It is definitely preferred to stick with one brand/chemistry if you can. While all oils are compatible, mixing is not preferred on a regular basis.

Jeez, when I worked lube rooms, we'd drain containers into one and let it accumulate. The rigs got one oil. The "drain-out" container got the left overs from car oils, diesel oils, yard equipment oils... Once that "drain-out" container was full, we'd pass it along to the next guy on the list (everyone in the shop got one eventually). We ran that in our personal vehicles and I got 200K out of my old Ford Truck engine doing that
smile.gif

It was all good high quality oil. But it varied by pricing at the time of acquisition (in bulk). I'd call that mixing on a regular basis
smile.gif

I think there is some marketing psychology and brand loyalty building going on here... Once you are convinced this is true, you are a believer ... I can smell fan-boy in a lot of the BITOG comments. It comes out in threads like this ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I think there is some marketing psychology and brand loyalty building going on here... Once you are convinced this is true, you are a believer ... I can smell fan-boy in a lot of the BITOG comments. It comes out in threads like this ...

How so? Shannow, one of the guys who is most rigorous about defining miscible in these debates, and me, who is just paranoid about mixing, both are happy to use various brands. I just stick with what I'm using for an extended period of time. That's paranoia, not fanboyism.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back