brake fluid ran low... do i need to bleed? (ABS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 honda accord v6 with ABS

An apparent rust induced failure somewhere (still havent figured out where) made the brake fluid run low to where there was almost no brakes left (pedal most of the way to the floor for partial weak braking) nearly putting my girlfriend in an accident...

I noticed the brake fluid was super low (but this honda fill thing is a PITA to figure out how much i'm even supposed to add - i'm pouring a nearly clear fluid into an opaque container with poor markings??) and added some, still diagnosing the leak...

I assume if fluid is coming OUT somewhere that's probably a sign air could be coming back in, but I wonder if it's on a return line or past the ABS unit somehow - there was brake fluid inside the left rear wheel dripping from the disc. I wont be able to verify what is leaking until I can put it up. (garage in use with a different broke car)

how do you even bleed an ABS system anyway? i've never had to before now/all my cars were without it before.

Last edited:
Bleed it as usual but don't drive this car until its repaired someone could get in an accident.
Some cars need the ABS cycled to bleed properly but unless you lost everything then it sould be okay.

Originally Posted By: columnshift
how do you even bleed an ABS system anyway?

It's done with a scan tool that has bi-directional control capability. The scan tool tells the ABS module to cycle its valves for bleeding the air out.

Once everything is repaired, bleed normally, and IIRC if you don't have a scan tool that has ABS functions mentioned by Merk, you can drive on gravel and hit the brakes to get the ABS to actuate (poor man's method).

Originally Posted By: columnshift
2003 honda accord v6 with ABS

An apparent rust induced failure somewhere (still havent figured out where) made the brake fluid run low to where there was almost no brakes left (pedal most of the way to the floor for partial weak braking) nearly putting my girlfriend in an accident...

I noticed the brake fluid was super low (but this honda fill thing is a PITA to figure out how much i'm even supposed to add - i'm pouring a nearly clear fluid into an opaque container with poor markings??) and added some, still diagnosing the leak...

I assume if fluid is coming OUT somewhere that's probably a sign air could be coming back in, but I wonder if it's on a return line or past the ABS unit somehow - there was brake fluid inside the left rear wheel dripping from the disc. I wont be able to verify what is leaking until I can put it up. (garage in use with a different broke car)

how do you even bleed an ABS system anyway? i've never had to before now/all my cars were without it before.

The Caliper is leaking and needs replaced, don't bother bleeding until the leak is fixed. Brake systems don't have a return line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back