Is UCL important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't answer your question, but I think the cams rotate at half the speed of the crankshaft in a 4 stroke and a cylinder also only fires every other stroke.

I've personally never used anything additional specifically as an UCL, just let the engine oil handle it.

That's a cool video though, it looked like they were lubing it with water, being so clear and thing.

What is it in the upper cylinder that needs lubing that isn't already being lubricated? No one ever answers that question, it's always determined that there isn't anything that is deficient.

At that point the discussion usually shifts to the other perceived benefits of a UCL, like fuel pump bearing lubrication. Until it is pointed out that the bearings are sealed and don't see the fuel nor the UCL.

Sometimes then a fuel economy increase is promoted. Until of course it is explained that such a small increase is unable to be observed in a real-world environment.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I can't answer your question, but I think the cams rotate at half the speed of the crankshaft in a 4 stroke and a cylinder also only fires every other stroke.

I've personally never used anything additional specifically as an UCL, just let the engine oil handle it.

That's a cool video though, it looked like they were lubing it with water, being so clear and thing.

It depends upon the design of the valve train on the engine.
A single cam opening both the inlet and exhaust valves does indeed rotate at 1/2 crankshaft rpm.
A dual overhead camshaft design valve train will see the cams rotating at 1/4 crankshaft rpm.

The lube was oil.
Note the increase in temperature of the valve train causing the oil to vaporise as the rpm's went up.
Friction between rubbing surfaces generates the extra heat.
As well as the cycling of the springs causing internal friction within the wire of the spring. Actually it generates an awful lot of the heat and contributes to a lot of oil vaporisation. The oil dribbling down over them is the only source of cooling for the valve springs.
It's not uncommon to see oil that has turned to varnish and soot stuck to the springs on some heads as a result of the heat.

Originally Posted By: splinter
wtly

Valvetrain components' lot through life is not an easy one.

It is indeed a hard life and a major reason why the valve springs loose tension from the original installed specs.

Desmodromics is the solution,IMO.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Add to that 7k firing per minute, or 117 explosions per second, for each valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcyT18qk8ls

So, is important?

Same engine, cam head perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsa6kq-qqIE

The UCL should be 50 weight at least, because thicker protects better. Or is that not always pertinent?

It depends upon the particular design of the valve train.
Surface speed and load are critical factors, but yes a thicker oil can't hurt especially since a thicker oil will thin down quite a lot due to the heat.
Another reason why a properly spec'd synthetic oil is superior to a mineral oil in higher heat applications.

Originally Posted By: Ducman
Originally Posted By: EdwardC

It depends upon the design of the valve train on the engine.
A single cam opening both the inlet and exhaust valves does indeed rotate at 1/2 crankshaft rpm.
A dual overhead camshaft design valve train will see the cams rotating at 1/4 crankshaft rpm.

Huh?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What is it in the upper cylinder that needs lubing that isn't already being lubricated? No one ever answers that question, it's always determined that there isn't anything that is deficient.

At that point the discussion usually shifts to the other perceived benefits of a UCL, like fuel pump bearing lubrication. Until it is pointed out that the bearings are sealed and don't see the fuel nor the UCL.

Sometimes then a fuel economy increase is promoted. Until of course it is explained that such a small increase is unable to be observed in a real-world environment.

In the old days when leaded fuel ruled the earth, the upper cylinder lube was actually the lead in the fuel and provided a cushioning effect.
Obviously the lead also performed the function of increasing the octane rating in a cost effective manner as well.

The materials used on the Valve seats have changed with the introduction of unleaded fuel and also Aluminium heads. This largely negates the use of any added lubricant to protect the seat but a little extra help is good too.

These days of unleaded fuel it doesn't hurt to have a little help from some extra UCL. the Valve seats and Valve stems are directly lubed as a result.
Higher quality premium fuels are already formulated to varying degrees with UCL.

The area in the valve pocket also stays a little wet with lube and this helps to minimise a built up of Carbon deposits on the back of the valve and base of the Valve stems. It will literally wash off and not stick.
The benefits also extend to the combustion chambers where the Carbon stays a bit soft and tends to not build up on itself as much.
I have seen the benefits of it with my engines.
Some engine designs seem to benefit more from UCL in various ways.

It's a bit like greasing a baking dish before putting the cake mixture into it when baking a cake.

It's up to the individual to determine through experience whether it's of benefit to them personally to run an UCL or not.
I certainly do use it religiously, as the benefits of Carbon reduction in the valve pocket are evident regardless of the design.

Last edited:
[/quote]

Huh? [/quote]

Sorry my mistake.
Thanks for picking that up Mik.

I've just come off a 12 hour shift this morning and I often don't think clearly as a result. I was obviously getting carried away.

My apologies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducman
Originally Posted By: kschachn

In the old days when leaded fuel ruled the earth, the upper cylinder lube was actually the lead in the fuel and provided a cushioning effect.
Obviously the lead also performed the function of increasing the octane rating in a cost effective manner as well.

The materials used on the Valve seats have changed with the introduction of unleaded fuel and also Aluminium heads. This largely negates the use of any added lubricant to protect the seat but a little extra help is good too.

These days of unleaded fuel it doesn't hurt to have a little help from some extra UCL. the Valve seats and Valve stems are directly lubed as a result.
Higher quality premium fuels are already formulated to varying degrees with UCL.

The area in the valve pocket also stays a little wet with lube and this helps to minimise a built up of Carbon deposits on the back of the valve and base of the Valve stems. It will literally wash off and not stick.
The benefits also extend to the combustion chambers where the Carbon stays a bit soft and tends to not build up on itself as much.
I have seen the benefits of it with my engines.
Some engine designs seem to benefit more from UCL in various ways.

It's a bit like greasing a baking dish before putting the cake mixture into it when baking a cake.

It's up to the individual to determine through experience whether it's of benefit to them personally to run an UCL or not.
I certainly do use it religiously, as the benefits of Carbon reduction in the valve pocket are evident regardless of the design.

+1
The hiting on the seat valves EVEN makes noise, so quick and hard it tends to recess and make wider clearances or tulip edge plastic deformation (does remmember of valve lapping Jobs?). Well if it makes sound of metal to metal, UCL wouldn't help?
Not that is absolutely necessity, but help to prevent wear and extend head life in hard use conditions, IMO. But 'm affraid that there's too much grandpas grocery grabber in here that say their engines are perfectly fine without UCL, but they're affraid to go beyond 4k rpms in their cars, for a reason. kikikih

Last edited:
So what exactly is your question? Are you asking if some additional lubricant should be added to the oil?

My '15 S1000RR is doing fine so far, after many trips to the 14.2k redline, on the BMW specific oil. Although I plan to change to Motul 300V 4T at the next oil change.

Last edited:
When I see "UCL" I think of additives you put into the fuel to add some lubricity to the components in the combustion chamber. Stuff like the LUCAS and Marvel Mystery Oil stuff.

That could be what he's getting at too. But I still don't know what his concern is.

If this were an engine built prior to the early 70's, and Lead had just been phased out, I could see the concern with valves/ valve seats.

Since this isn't an engine from that era, my thinking is maybe he's thinking of cam lobe/ follower wear.

UCLs weren't for lead replacement (in their original intent).

Cylinder Lubes for steam trains are an atomised lubricant introduced with the steam, to wet and lubricate the cylinder walls...that's esentially what upper cylinder lubricants were intended to duplicate.

In a two stroke sort of fashion.

The valve recession thing is a different need, and a whole different set of chemicals...Oz dropped leaded in the very late 80s, and recession was real. The valve seat additives were Sodium and Potassium based, and left a cushioning oxide film on the exhaust seat.

Oil introduced with the fuel DOES lubricate the walls, at least I've seen studies on Wankells in the early days of development (Mercedes used a porous lower floor on the intake manifold to release a film of oil into the chamber, in the apex seal area (they were peripheral ported).

I doubt that they are necessary these days, particularly if the OEM is achieving 1qt/800 miles as an oil consumption target.

I still do, with TCW-3.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
UCLs weren't for lead replacement (in their original intent).

Yes, I know. But that seems to be the common reason given, when they're mentioned. Since that is really not a concern, it occurred to me that maybe he was thinking there would be some lubrication issue, hence my first post.

As I said, I'm trying to figure out what his concern is. Instead of mentioning anything else, I should've just asked that.

I've got some Castrol R, just something for pedestrians to rememeber me by. Makes hard carbon, so don't use it often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back