Hyundai recall no start and intermittent stops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any Hyundai owners received a recall notice concerning failures to start and intermittent stops? Maybe it's too soon for such a recall to appear in the .gov website.

Haven't seen anything...are you talking about failure to start with stalling or are you talking about an issue with the stop/start function?? OR are you talking about the Sonata recall??

I received a recall notice for the engine failure (rod bearing issue.)

Descriptive Information :
Model Year 2011 and 2012 Hyundai Sonata vehicles manufactured at Hyundai
Motor Manufacturing Alabama equipped with 2.0 liter and 2.4 liter Gasoline Direct
injection engines.

Description of Defect :
Description of the Defect :
Hyundai has determined that metal debris may have been generated from factory
machining operations as part of the manufacturing of the engine crankshaft during
the subject production period. As part of the machining processes, the engine
crankshaft is cleaned to remove metallic debris. If the debris is not completely
removed from the crankshaft’s oil passages, it can be forced into the connecting rod
oiling passages restricting oil flow to the bearings. Since bearings are cooled by oil
flow between the bearing and journal, a reduction in the flow of oil may raise
bearing temperatures increasing the potential of premature bearing wear. A worn
connecting rod bearing will produce a metallic, cyclic knocking noise from the
engine which increases in frequency as the engine rpm increases. A worn
connecting rod bearing may also result in illumination of the oil pressure lamp in
the instrument cluster. If the vehicle continues to be driven with a worn connecting
rod bearing, the bearing can fail, and the vehicle could stall while in motion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fscarano
I received a recall notice for the engine failure (rod bearing issue.)

Descriptive Information :
Model Year 2011 and 2012 Hyundai Sonata vehicles manufactured at Hyundai
Motor Manufacturing Alabama equipped with 2.0 liter and 2.4 liter Gasoline Direct
injection engines.

Description of Defect :
Description of the Defect :
Hyundai has determined that metal debris may have been generated from factory
machining operations as part of the manufacturing of the engine crankshaft during
the subject production period. As part of the machining processes, the engine
crankshaft is cleaned to remove metallic debris. If the debris is not completely
removed from the crankshaft’s oil passages, it can be forced into the connecting rod
oiling passages restricting oil flow to the bearings. Since bearings are cooled by oil
flow between the bearing and journal, a reduction in the flow of oil may raise
bearing temperatures increasing the potential of premature bearing wear. A worn
connecting rod bearing will produce a metallic, cyclic knocking noise from the
engine which increases in frequency as the engine rpm increases. A worn
connecting rod bearing may also result in illumination of the oil pressure lamp in
the instrument cluster. If the vehicle continues to be driven with a worn connecting
rod bearing, the bearing can fail, and the vehicle could stall while in motion.

My MIL got that letter too. It also said that the warranty on the short block will be extended to 10 years/200kms whichever occurs first

To my understanding they didnt recall them because its believed only a small percentage of motors will exhibit the problem. If your engine had excess debris from the machining process it is HIGHLY unlikely you would even get close to 100,000 miles without eng failure. Most cars with the excess debris were probably saved by the oil filter capturing it. Hyundai is super diligent about their repuatation right now. The extended warranty makes everyone feel better and realistically, and engine with metal debris ready to flake off and get stuck in a bearing is going to happen before 100k miles. By 50k-75k miles it should have failed.

Last edited:
Ye,s it is a recall. I have the letter to prove it. There have been engines seizing with 80-130K on them. Hyundai could care less about the customer. A class action law suit is the only reason this came to light.

""Hyundai is super diligent about their repuatation right now.""

What are you smoking?

Last edited:
The car in question is a 2011 Sonata turbo. The engine started getting really bad gas mileage and at times would not start. Then it failed to run at all just after making what was described as an awful screeching noise. The dealer has the car now and is checking to see if it's covered under warranty with 45K on the clock and all the receipts for service in good order.

Nothing, I'm smoking nothing. What i do know is hyundai didnt get where they are today by building [censored] cars without a warranty to back it up. The only downside ive heard from Hyundai owners is that dealer customer service is a bit lacking.

I dont own a Hyundai but i wouldnt have any issue doing so.

Originally Posted By: fscarano
Ye,s it is a recall. I have the letter to prove it. There have been engines seizing with 80-130K on them. Hyundai could care less about the customer.

A class action law suit is the only reason this came to light.

""Hyundai is super diligent about their repuatation right now.""

What are you smoking?

Yep.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stower17
Sounds like every other manufacturer these days.

Yeah, that's closer to the truth than not. I can't get too excited about this class action lawsuit thing when this isn't particular to one brand. This is more akin to the normal course of events for the industry and ultimately I think Hyundai did a good job with making it right for customers.

There was a class action lawsuit filed against Mazda in 2013 or 2014 regarding high failure rates of their variable valve timing components in the first generation Mazda3 among a few other models. Mine failed at 68K miles and I got rid of the car. Apparently, Mazda knew of this problem before 2007 but they continued to manufacture and install the same parts through the 2009 model year. To my knowledge, Mazda hasn't admitted anything concerning this issue.

With these law suits, I'm sure it depends on the law firm, vulnerabilities, financial climate, and other factors that reflect this situation more than just the automaker or the vehicle when some of these class action cases are brought.

Have had 1 recall for my 2010 Tucson.
Stop Lamp Switch - said something like it could cause the shift lever become stuck in park, cruise control may disable when in use, probably brake lights inop and maybe something else.
I had none of the problems stated but took it in anyways for the replacement stop lamp switch. They did a free multi-point inspection and I was waiting to see what they were going to try to up-sale to dig into my pockets but was shocked that they said it didn't need anything - clean bill of health.
add: 96k+ on the clock and no issues so far.

Last edited:
Update on the Hyundai 2011 turbo Sonata with 44K miles. It had been failing to start and knocking. The dealer with instructions from the factory did a test. They ran the engine at 2K rpm with a technician holding a tablet inside listening to the knocking. Since it registered under a certain noise level the fix was a shorter dip stick that would mean an extra quart of oil. So my neighbor ask if a technician could take a test ride to which the service manager agreed. The knocking was louder while the engine was under load and upon returning to the dealership the engine failed with a bang and they coasted into the service entrance with smoke coming from the front of the car. At that point the people at the dealership agreed that the owner should not attempt to start the car again and that the dipstick change would not accomplish anything. They are now awaiting an answer from the factory.

This car had the oil changed by the owner every 5K miles with Mobil 1 oil and filter. It was driven very careful by 2 adults, always garaged and lives in southern California. All other service was done on or ahead of schedule. It appears that this has to be some kind of factory defect.

Ouch sorry to hear that, not sure if its your car or someone elses. I wonder if the extra quart of oil causes more strain on the crank and helps make the faulty engines make fail.

Hopefully this engine is replaced with a new trouble free motor.

The fix is in... a new dipstick that increases capacity by 1/2 a quart. Geez, think of all that manufacturing debris that can be neutralized by an extra pint of oil.

All new engines get a fill of 5w30 synth. Top offs, prior to the microphone test, is with conventional 5w30. QS is the brand.

I will guess that most consumers will be happy with their new fancy dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back