Out with the old, in with the new F250 PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: another Todd
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Congratulations! I love mine; plenty of power and decent MPG.

Obligatory questions:

1. Which oil filter?
2. Which oil?
I will probably stick with Motorcraft filters and oil for now, and my Walmart sells the MC filter and MC 15/40 and 10/30 PSD oils at a reasonable price. Which weight oil I will use has not been determined yet. The manual is kind of non committal on which oil is preferred and implies you could use either (or 5/40 for severe service). Interestingly, the MC PSD oils are NOT gas engine rated at all, strictly diesel. If I switch to 5/40 it will probably be the cheapest one Walmart sells, which right now is Delo I think.
Nice; I went with an MC and Delo 400 LE 5W-40 to start, but also have some T6 in 5W-40 on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Just reread your first post. What fiver are you looking at?

We're interested in Rockwoods. Were going to look at Cougars also, we see a lot of those around. Next week starts about a 10 day RV show in Pomona CA which we plan on spending a couple days at looking around. Will possibly buy one there, or shortly afterwards. Looking for 28 to 32 feet.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Congrats! You have anything fun you tow with it?

Doh! Just reread your first post. What fiver are you looking at?

Ended up buying a 2016 Reflection made by Grand Design. It's just under 32' and fits our needs nicely.

I dont know anything about diesels, but 3.31 gearing seems very tall. Is this where the torque comes into play?

With a 6 speed trans the 3.31 rear end is more than sufficient, on top of that 420 hp under the hood. At 70 mph the engine turns approx 1,550 rpm. Unless someone is towing heavy regularly there isn't a need for any higher gear ratio as I have a 12,000 lb trailer I tow on occasion and I can't hardly tell its behind me. Use the tow/haul feature just drive.

I still have an '89 IDI 7.3 with 4.88 rear end, they only had 185 hp and you need every one of them with a load as it turns 2,400 rpm at 55 mph.

Congrats on the new truck. My fiancee owns a 2003 Ford Superduty with the 6.0 and she has used 10W-30 Motorcraft diesel oil and Motorcraft oil filters the entire time since the truck was new and knock on wood, she has not had all of the 6.0 engine problems that many experience. Truck only has about 87,000 miles on it.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
Congrats on the new truck. My fiancee owns a 2003 Ford Superduty with the 6.0 and she has used 10W-30 Motorcraft diesel oil and Motorcraft oil filters the entire time since the truck was new and knock on wood, she has not had all of the 6.0 engine problems that many experience. Truck only has about 87,000 miles on it.

Wayne

Ticking time bomb can go off at any time.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Wayne

that's the way to troll

Originally Posted By: Superflop

Wayne

that's the way to troll

Wah, wah wah go cry somewhere else. The 6.0 is probably the worst engine ever produced. But my point is that it can fail at any point whether it has had no issues or not. Maintenance or not doesn't matter. People want to sit behind a false sense of security but just a reminder they can fail big at any time.

I owned 2 different 6.0's and never had an issue with either, the '07 I traded in with 211,000 mi. Most of the problems with the 6.0 were owner inflicted, adding tuners that were doing more harm than good.

Wayne

I'm well aware of all of the 6.0 issues as I have done a lot of research on this engine as well as have friends who own or have owned them. I think she has been very lucky that she has not had any major problems yet, especially since this truck sits quite a bit of the time. I guess time will tell.

Wayne

Just keeping the cooling system clean will eliminate most of the issues, along with fully charged batteries.
If it sits as you stated a battery tender is highly recommended so the FICM doesn't see any unneeded stress.

I do keep a battery tender on it when it's not used. We recently installed two new Motorcraft batteries. The coolant has been changed out when the EGR cooler hose had to be replaced.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I owned 2 different 6.0's and never had an issue with either, the '07 I traded in with 211,000 mi. Most of the problems with the 6.0 were owner inflicted, adding tuners that were doing more harm than good.

I watched five 6.0's turn two companies from having all-Ford fleets to what are fast becoming NO-Ford fleets. None were tuned (in fact, three were Econolines and therefore DEtuned), all were disasters. One of the Econolines got a new engine (shipped directly from the factory in a sealed crate) with <50K.

Yes, tuning and maintenance had nothing to do with the issues on the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels. They were fundamental problems.

Tuning and maintenance had a lot to do with the 6.0 problems, not all of course. Cooling system maintenance, or lack there of, was a major contributing factor to a whole cascade of problems with the 6.0. The end of the F series production with the 6.0 ('06/'07) were the most trouble-free trucks Ford ever produced. The 6.0 went into the E series until '09.

The main problem with the 6.0 when it was introduced owners and most techs didn't understand why they were failing and just replaced parts, only to have them fail again. The first few years were a very steep learning curve for everyone as there were so many new innovations employed into the 6.0 that almost no one, including Ford, knew how to correctly diagnose why a head gasket had failed, for example. With time everyone figured out the root cause was EGR coolers starting to slowly leak and manifest itself into a full blown engine failure.

I had well over 400,000 mi. in the seat of two different 6.0's and never had an issue, I am well aware that more of them failed then should have, but they did have their strong points;
the bottom ends were very stout
they were head and shoulders above the 7.3 they replaced from a driveability standpoint, in combination with the new torqshift transmission.

One thing to remember with this engine is Ford/International rushed this platform into production due to EPA regulations. Due to shear the number of engines produced by Cummins, for example, they were exempt from these new regs in 2003, so the 5.9 got a hall pass until Jan 1 2007.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Tuning and maintenance had a lot to do with the 6.0 problems, not all of course. Cooling system maintenance, or lack there of, was a major contributing factor to a whole cascade of problems with the 6.0. The end of the F series production with the 6.0 ('06/'07) were the most trouble-free trucks Ford ever produced. The 6.0 went into the E series until '09.

The main problem with the 6.0 when it was introduced owners and most techs didn't understand why they were failing and just replaced parts, only to have them fail again. The first few years were a very steep learning curve for everyone as there were so many new innovations employed into the 6.0 that almost no one, including Ford, knew how to correctly diagnose why a head gasket had failed, for example. With time everyone figured out the root cause was EGR coolers starting to slowly leak and manifest itself into a full blown engine failure.

I had well over 400,000 mi. in the seat of two different 6.0's and never had an issue, I am well aware that more of them failed then should have, but they did have their strong points;
the bottom ends were very stout
they were head and shoulders above the 7.3 they replaced from a driveability standpoint, in combination with the new torqshift transmission.

One thing to remember with this engine is Ford/International rushed this platform into production due to EPA regulations. Due to shear the number of engines produced by Cummins, for example, they were exempt from these new regs in 2003, so the 5.9 got a hall pass until Jan 1 2007.

The problems are well documented with the 6.0. The resale market on these trucks are horrible. Therefore, I can see buying a used one and talking a chance if you get it real cheap.

Have yours been "bullet proof"? Or, what have you done to them that isn't stock to make them last?

Last edited:
Never done anything to either, changed oil at 7,500 mi with 10w-30 and flushed cooling system at 80,000 mi., replaced with JD CoolGard.

I did lose a FICM on one of them once, replaced under warranty. I had drained the batteries in -15f, unknowingly, then attempted to start. The FICM is another one of those things that can be damaged very easily with weak batteries which was an unknown for the first few years of production.

We change the oil on my fiancee's truck every 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first and have since new. It actually has been pretty reliable but it is totally stock engine wise. Only modification is a 4" lift which had been hard on front suspension parts.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back