OlderPU at $4 per quart, is it worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have posted this on the ongoing Autozone clearance thread but I think it would get lost in the static of 10 plus pages now.

Two local Auto Zones have Pennzoil Ultra on sale, 5w-30 and 10w-30 for $4 per quart. One store has the older version dated Jan 2013 the other has the newer version Date unknown.

At $4 per quart is it worth it to buy? With 2 cars that takes 6 quarts and 3 oil changes per year, how many quarts should I buy before the oil is to old to be used?

That said, should I get the newer version or the older version?

Never too old, at least not in seven or eight years...

But three changes a year??? Unless you doing over 25-30K mi per year in each vehicle, no more than twice is going to be often enough...

If is the low NOACK SN version, it was GTL, as that PDS corresponded with the GTL implementation. They started blending PP with GTL in 2013, with PU I believe it was even earlier, though SOPUS never officially answered that question directly in the Q&A.

Just bought 5 quarts of 5w40 @ $2/qt today, so I say no...

Reports say M1 0w30 quarts are $2 quart as well, but ymmv...

Definitely a good deal. For a 5qt oil change it is even cheaper than "value priced" synthetic at walmart.

Got six of Castrol 0W-30, $4 a quart...
They had a lot of old grey bottle non Euro Pennzoil 0W-40...

Hope to find some Euro 5W-40, new silver label, soon...

Maybe buy some now and wait until later in the month and check if it goes to $2/qt. Regardless, its still a very good price considering lots of members here paying full price for it at walmart, and others willing to pay full price but cannot get it stocked at stores near them. I paid full price ($28) at walmart once.... Im gonna get bashed for saying that here LOL.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Definitely a good deal. For a 5qt oil change it is even cheaper than "value priced" synthetic at walmart.

Actually no. 5 qt of Supertech Full Synth is $17.47 at WM.

OP -- that's a fair deal, but not a great one.

I was thinking along the lines of QSUD. Which is more than $20 now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back