Calcium 2274 857

Barium 0 0

Phosphorus 1761 1060

Zinc 2253 1344

Molybdenum 634 42

Titanium 0 0

Vanadium 0 0

Fuel% 0 0

Same type/brand air filter on both runs. I don't have written down what oil filter I used on the Lubrication Engineers run.

I use this bike (it's a 2012) to commute ~40 miles each way, most days of the year. I tend to take the pickup when it's over 110, and I am more likely to take the pickup when the mornings are below 40. I also took this bike on a multi-thousand-mile trip for work this summer, which included long rides on the weekends to pass the time while away from family. It was my only transportation for a couple months during that time, up north. I ride for fun on weekends, sometimes.

If you didn't know it already, you can see that L-E uses a lot of magnesium, and less calcium than most current oils. Red Line is more typical in that they use little or no Mg. They use a super overload of Ca, Zn, and Mo. We can see that each strategy is similarly effective in this bike. The L-E sheared more in fewer miles, from their PDS figure of 12.4 to 7.9. The Red Line PDS says it typically starts at 11.4 and it ended up at 8.9. However, each of the fluids held up as well as or better than Honda's GN-4, so I'm not worried about it at all.

Both of these fluids provide very good to excellent shift performance in this gearbox. The L-E fluid may be a skosh better, but it's hard to recall qualitative/subjective stuff like that over the course of 18 months.

In the end, I don't really know whether I would prefer either of these fluids over the other in the future. A local shop carries the Red Line, and I buy it by the quart. L-E I have to mail order, of course, and I normally get it in 5-gallon pails to keep costs under control. I no longer use the 10W30 for any other vehicle, though, so a 5-gallon bucket of oil goes a looong ways on this bike. It holds about a gallon, and my OCIs are most of a year. In fact, I _may_ round up to a year from here on. Or maybe not.
smile.gif

How do you like the bike? I'm planning on getting a newer adventure bike eventually, and one of those with some 70/30s would make for a good looking and useful at bike

Wow! Yeah, I somehow got a copy-paste messed up. Red Line is the current, _left_ column. Sorry. Can't edit it any more... :-/

I like the bike a lot! I don't use it as an 'adventure' bike, though. I got it because of its super-high utility factor, and somewhat greater suspension travel. It's a beautiful commuter and utilitarian bike. Also fun in the curves! Not speedy, though; I sometimes miss my CBR.

Is this the standard transmission or DCT version? How do you find the brake system especially if it is non-abs standard version. I am glad Honda seems to be offering more abs options on bikes, but frustrates me they only offer abs on DCT version of the NC and CTX motorcycles.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
Wow! Yeah, I somehow got a copy-paste messed up. Red Line is the current, _left_ column. Sorry. Can't edit it any more... :-/

R.

Yeah , that didn't look like redline on the right side

BTW was that red line car oil, their mc stuff normally has reduced moly, that is the levels the car stuff comes with.

Last edited:
It is the Red Line m/c oil. They just love molybdenum. It was probably 35% the 'older' JASO MB stuff, and the rest the 'newer' JASO MA stuff.

This bike is the standard, or base model, no DCT and no ABS. The braking system is extremely effective. It'll lock up the front wheel if that's what you really want. I don't. :) You _do_ have to squeeze further and harder to get close to lock-up than you would on some other bikes, though. I actually see that as an advantage, because brake modulation is easier. Some don't care for the feel, though, as I understand it.

I also really wish they'd offer ABS separate from the DCT. My guess, and it's purely a guess, is that they're concerned that the DCTs won't sell all on their own. From the guys who have DCTs on the nc700-forum.com forums, it appears that the DCT is really a great tranny. I've given reasonably serious consideration to changing to the DCT version of the bike, or _maybe_ even to a DCT version of the CTX, but frugality and the fact that the only thing I'd really _want_ out of a trade would be ABS, keeps me from changing.

Hey, I have a 2014 NC750S, the naked version of your bike which the US doesn't get. Mine is the manual transmission, with ABS. Great bike, I really can't fault it, although a little more power wouldn't go astray. Oh, and maybe a more comfortable seat! I commute most days on mine, 35km each way, mainly on the highway, and the fuel economy is absolutely fantastic.

One of the things that really drew me to the NC is the ease of maintenance, such as the single throttle body (no syncs), 48,000km spark plug changes, screw and lock nut valve adjustments, etc. The only thing Honda could've made a bit easier is the air filter change - half the bike has to come apart!

You're really going 10,000 miles between oil changes? I know I'm a dinosaur, but mine gets new synthetic 5w30 and a Honda filter every 5,000km (3,000 miles). By the looks of it, I'm being way too conservative! Old habits die hard...

Yeah, the air filter change is a pain!

Honda USA calls for 8,000-mile changes. I tried ~10k this time just to see what it looked like. 10k won't quite get me a year's-worth of riding, but I suppose that's not that big a deal. I've considered:

Changing oil once a year, whatever the miles.
Changing oil every 10k.
Changing oil every 5k (that's approximately what I did most of the time before now).
Changing oil twice a year, whatever the miles.

Don't know for certain where I'll end up.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back