What would you use in a 98' Cavalier 2 door, 203k

Status
Not open for further replies.
out of your choices ... MC synblend 5w30

Personally I'd use PYB or Havoline Conventional (5W30 or 10W30) for 5k .

These cars have a nice capacity, 4.5 quarts, and are not pulling much weight around (coupe is 27xx pounds). I would run a good conventional for 6500-7000. Syn for 10k.

If its not burning or consuming any oil, I would jump on the rollback at Walmart for there SuperTech Conventional 5W30 until you can catch another K-mart sale of the Smittys Syn Blend 5W30. I dated a girl years ago that bought a new 1998 Caviler 2door 2.2L 5spd manual & that motor ran great on any conventional.

From a guy who has owned a few Js, hmmmm...

With the 2.2, I think Maxlife 10w30 would be in order....only because I'm not sure sure of the shape of the engine here. (Granted I've seen abused ones make it to 250k)

Kinda funny, since my Cav gets it's first taste of a 0w in the almost 12 years I have owned it....
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: wtd
I daily drive a 92 Cavalier with the 2.2L/auto and I use 5W-30 TropArtic blend that I get for $1.99 a quart. Car runs quiet but does seep a little oil. Car has 211,000 miles on it. I have run a variety of different oils in it in the past nine years I have owned it.

Wayne

Found my old 93 wagon had a taste for QSAD 5w30.....only oil it did not burn (as much) Would have made it to 200k I'm sure (totalled at 150k)
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: DavidZ28
Originally Posted By: Branson304
Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend is my suggestion. Excellent oil.

I'll second that. 2000 Sunfire 2.2L, prob same engine as in your Cavalier. I run Maxlife in it and have no complaints.

It is.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend is my suggestion. Excellent oil.

+1 more vote. I'd do it in 10W-40
smile.gif

The motor has "clearances"
laugh.gif

I'd be running PYB or QSGB 5w-30 if it were me, unless there were consumption or leaking issues. If there are, I'd try a HM, probably MaxLife, which has treated me well before.

For that car just anything within the right viscosity. Experiment around if youd like. Keep an eye on your cooling system and that engine will purr a long time. They are known to blow head gaskets, i've heard of some people on their 3rd and 4th HG and they just keep running after the repair. Thats really the only achilles heel of that motor. Its fun getting older cars sometimes! Enjoy

I found the gentleman a receipt from having the head gasket done at 105,000~. No leaks and doing water pump later today and a cooling flush. I put 60 miles round trip so far today, no leaks and has awesome heat
smile.gif
. I put some SM PYB in the 11' Focus yesterday afternoon; much, much quieter and smoother sounding than the EDGE SN

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I daily drive a 92 Cavalier with the 2.2L/auto and I use 5W-30 TropArtic blend that I get for $1.99 a quart. Car runs quiet but does seep a little oil. Car has 211,000 miles on it. I have run a variety of different oils in it in the past nine years I have owned it.

Wayne

Found my old 93 wagon had a taste for QSAD 5w30.....only oil it did not burn (as much) Would have made it to 200k I'm sure (totalled at 150k)
frown.gif

I run 5,000 OCI's on my DD. Before this, I was running the Pennzoil HM which did fine but the car uses less oil on the TropArtic.

My other 92 Cavalier has well over 200,000 miles. It has the 2.2/5 speed and was my fiancee's DD until she bought a 94 Cavalier last year with only 58,000 miles on it.

These 2.2's are pretty tough engines. The engine in my other cavalier was a junkyard engine with I don't know how many miles on it and ran low oil pressure even after I replaced the oil pump. My fiancee put over 140,000 miles on it before she quit driving it. It still runs fine to this day.

They are good cheap transportation and is why I still drive one.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: stower17
For that car just anything within the right viscosity. Experiment around if youd like. Keep an eye on your cooling system and that engine will purr a long time. They are known to blow head gaskets, i've heard of some people on their 3rd and 4th HG and they just keep running after the repair. Thats really the only achilles heel of that motor. Its fun getting older cars sometimes! Enjoy

All three of mine and my fiancee's Cavaliers have had the head Gasket replaced. Years ago my ex-wife had a 91 Beretta with the 2.2L and it had to have it's head gasket replaced at about 55,000 miles.

My DD had the head gasket replaced at about 81,000 miles and it now has over 211,000 miles on it and so far it hasn't started leaking again. It seems like once you replace the original gasket, the replacement one lasts a long time.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Wayne

frown.gif

I run 5,000 OCI's on my DD. Before this, I was running the Pennzoil HM which did fine but the car uses less oil on the TropArtic.

My other 92 Cavalier has well over 200,000 miles. It has the 2.2/5 speed and was my fiancee's DD until she bought a 94 Cavalier last year with only 58,000 miles on it.

These 2.2's are pretty tough engines. The engine in my other cavalier was a junkyard engine with I don't know how many miles on it and ran low oil pressure even after I replaced the oil pump. My fiancee put over 140,000 miles on it before she quit driving it. It still runs fine to this day.

They are good cheap transportation and is why I still drive one.

Wayne

Yeah, my 3.1 was a tough cookie too. Starting to miss that wagon...
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back