Grease demonstration question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLR

I was at a trade show this morning and there was a grease supplier showing off the "superior" qualities of their grease vs various competitors. The sales rep probably had a dozen competitive brands a potential customer could choose from but I only witnessed his demonstration against one.

On the table he had this dual hammer device where at the point of impact he globbed on some of his grease and on the other hammer a glob of the competitive brand. As he pulled the pin, the hammers flipped over and directly hit the grease. The competitor shot out in all directions but his grease really didn't go anywhere. It was admittedly a pretty good demonstration but is he actually showing anything useful?

thanks

He is just demonstrating that it stays in place and is not going to be displaced easily. Might be an important property in some applications but not others. Sometimes you want a thin grease that spreads easy especially at colder temps.

You was at the farm show at the civic center. I was there and saw the test. The other exhibit that was beside him was WCSA inc . I never heard of Mantek grease.

Originally Posted By: GLR
It was Mantek.

Ah, so they're up to that silliness now too, huh?
cool.gif

Usually what you'll find in these demonstrations is one product that's specifically formulated for the application (whatever they're selling) being compared to others that are general purpose, and/or all together different (thickener, NLGI grade, etc.).

It's really meaningless, and just another "one-arm bandit".

Originally Posted By: spk2000
He is just demonstrating that it stays in place and is not going to be displaced easily. Might be an important property in some applications but not others. Sometimes you want a thin grease that spreads easy especially at colder temps.

So which ASTM test does it correspond to ?

I mean when you are trying to work out what's an appropriate grease to use for actual applications other than hammer/log splitter.

The Moreys rep used to do that - but he used my hammer. I didn't understand the purpose of the demo, but did use their grease in some applications, none of which included a hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back